My daugter called someone else mommy....Wrong to be upset?

My daughter (4 yrs old) called her babysitter mommy today. I work all hours of the day and so it is essential that she be with her quite a bit so that I can keep us afloat. It's always been just me and her (I'm 19 and the father stopped seeing us very early on) and we've finally got our own house and I was feeling so on top of everything but suddenly I'm feeling awful again, has this ever happened to anyone else? Sorry if I'm being a bit silly. Thanks for any answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am sorry that happened. It's your childcare provider responsibilty to make sure she doesnt do that. I was a liccensed provider and I had others kids most of the day. I ALWAYS corrected the kids. She is old enough to know you are her mother. Make sure her day care provider isnt allowing it.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 5:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There could be something deeper going on with this issue, I'd be upset, maybe this was an accident, or the babysitter is telling your child to call her mommy or maybe your daughter bonds well with her, and she loves her and instead of saying I love you she said mommy. I'd have a little nice chat with the babysitter to see if she always does this.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I wouldnt worry. I remember saying that to my Grandmom as a kid and its normal. And as pp said, she corrected me and I understood. Just be happy that she is home with someone that she loves so much. Its normal to be hurt by it but she is young and you cant dwell on this.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• and remember that kids associate feelings with words and ppl. For instance, she is so close to you and loves you and even though she knows you are her mom she loves her baby sitter. so maybe she is associating the name with a person with similar actions. She may feel that the sitter is treating her like her mommy would.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my niece had called me mom a couple times, she said it but knew i wasnt her mom. i told my sis about it and she says she just naturally does that! so dont feel bad...kids sometimes do that. i remember my brother called me mom one time cause he didnt know how to say my name.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• one time i was babysitting a 3 year old and she said "i wish you were my mommy" i was really surprised she said that.her mom seems like a nice fun mom too. i'm sure its normal.i have a 1year old girl i hope she never says that to someone!
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 5:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• you sound like you need someone to talk to...(i would prob. be pretty upset too) just message me and we can talk as much as you like.
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It is very normal for your child to call her baby sitter momy, after all she does spend most of her time with her, I think is your responsibility to set her straight not the baby sitter. If she feels this way about her sitter it is a sign that she loves her and is being treated well and with love. Don't feel so bad mom, although I can relate to what you feel, remember children have a great capacity to love, there is enough room in that little heart for the both of you, but make sure she knows the distinction.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i think its great that you have a sitter that your daughter loves...maybe take a few days off work in a row to get some special bonding time with your daughter.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• if your daughter if 4 though why dont you ask her why she called her mommy...4 yr olds are pretty honest
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009