When would you make the trip to the ER?

My husband, son and I have all come down with a fever, coughs, sore throat, chills, body aches and occasionally difficulty breathing.

My husband is the worst and my son seems decent. We all have mild fevers (about 99.5-100.3). That being said my husband is hugely concerned about something going horribly wrong. Would you make the trip in to see a doctor or wait it out and see if things get worse?

Erica912

Asked by Erica912 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Health

• doctor now
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Let me ask you this: would you risk going to the ER and catching something worse for a fever that can probably be controlled with aspirin and motrin?

For me, it's not worth going to the ER until you're seeing extremely high fevers, continuous vomiting, and a dramatic change in disposition. Even then, it may be worth it to go see you regular doctor tomorrow. My little one had a high fever; I waited until the next morning to get her in with her pedi; and I was PRAISED for not exposing her to the ER.

Also, what I hear from nurses all the time is "is it worth the $100+ copayment vs. a $20 copayment at your primary doctor?"

It sounds like ya'll have what everyone has: the flu, be it of the seasonal or swine persuasion. :-)
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just visit your regular doctor...or even the walk-in clinics - way cheaper and may even be more efficient use of your money...
    Anonymous

• The other night my coworker went to the ER to see his sons gf who was in an accident. While there a nurse in the ER told her that they had 23 patients that day in there for the flu and sent all but ONE home and thats because they had pneumonia . She said... its the flu... until it gets real bad there is nothing we can do about it. Some ER's won't even test you for h1n1 if it doesn't appear bad. Just stay home.. don't go out in public and rest!!!! Thats what you do for the flu... Don't go out and risk getting others sick. And WASH YOUR HANDS!!!! There is no reason to run to the ER unless a temp of 103.5 or higher or dehydration or unless you can just tell something is wrong.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I would just call your regular doctor. Get an appt. for to see them perhaps if you feel the need to go somewhere. I would only go to the er if it was the middle of the night and the kids seemed dehydrated or such and then only after calling the on call doctor and telling them what was going on.
    Anonymous

• The only times I've been to / taken someone to the ER for flu symptoms was when I had strept throat & it was on a friday & i was sooo sick I didnt think i could make it till monday (they shot me up with antibiotics & gave me some pain meds... so greatful!) and once my husband was working out of town, caught the flu, had to drive home 6 hours..he gets back & puked & puked & puked so much that I took him & they had to hook him up to an IV for being dehydrated. I've never taken my children for things like that. Just to the reg. dr & most of the time they really cant help you anyway. Unless you get a secondary infection of some kind like bronchitis or upper respiratory or something.
    Anonymous

• The normal range for a body temp is up to 99.8. You guys BARELY have an elevated temp let alone a fever.

Now the difficulty breathing should have warranted a call to the doctor at that time.
    Anonymous

• Just as a reference, I KNOW my reg body temp and mine is elevated to say the least as I have a normally low body temp.

Regardless I asked the question for reassurance as I don't agree with my husband and don't think we need to go anywhere unless one of us gets much worse.
    Erica912

Answer by Erica912 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't GO anywhere - I'd call your regular doc first thing in the morning and talk to him/her and see what he/she says.
    Anonymous

• Stay home with your viruses. You don't want to expose weakened immune systems to secondary infections. Stay hydrated and feel better!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2009