I'm thinking of getting rid of our dog????

I had my 8 month old son in his carrier on my front and I was taking our 140lb dog for her afternoon walk ..
Then she sees the neighbor. I had the leash wrapped around my wrist and before I could react she -yanked- me down to the ground and even got me dragged a couple feet -- I got the leash off my wrist as fast as possible and was screaming bloody murder - she stopped before I got the leash off (to her credit) but I had to do like a -roll and tumble- to prevent my son from getting squished and I hit MY head really hard on the ground. Mind you, she's yanked her leash like this b4 but not cause of the neighbor and usually stopped when I yelled. I fell this time.

I put her in her kennel and am leaving her there til SO gets home.

I feel like this situation could have been 100x worse and I don't think I'm going to walk her anymore.

If I can't walk her during the day her life quality will suffer lots.
What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Is training an option first?

You certainly did all the right things.

If you do have to give up the dog, you might see if there are any rescue groups for her breed, rather than going to a shelter.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• honestly why would you have a dog that big and what seems like no yard for the dog to run in? you could try taking the dog to a dog park during the day and letting her run out her energy there for a while and you can always bring the kids it's pretty fun for all
    Anonymous

• She is very aggressive towards other dogs when I am around, so no dog park unless I'm not there and SO works too much to take her. We have a -huge- yard, but she kept wanting to attack the neighbors new dog and running acrossed the road so I had to start walking her on a leash.

She used to have free reign and I used to have better control of her til I had the baby. Now she won't listen to me.

I've had a trainer here and I've had my aunt (a dog psychologist) try to help me with her.. but she is very very protective of me and now is 100x worse protective. I just can't convince her that I'm not feable and can defend myself against possible aggressors.

I love her a lot, that is why I am thinking of getting rid of her.

And we can't afford to fence in the entire yard, but I've thought about another run -- but she broke the last one and attacked the neighbors dog.

Anonymous

• Dogs are pack animals, since you are the "head" female, and you protect the baby, she is protecting you, have you tried putting her in the yard on a stake? The best advice i can give is to re-train her (don't take your son until you have it under control if at all possible), if she starts getting agressive, correct her, it's not going to be easy, especially at first, but it's nesscary and i don't think it's a good idea to "get rid" of her, then you are just basically pawning her off on another family because she got too much for you to handle, and THAT family is going to have to deal with her issues.
    Anonymous

• First try maybe having someone stay with your child in the morning or afternoon whichever is the best time to walk her(when there is the least amount of people and dogs) and go with her by yourself. Work with her on your walks, giving her commands when you even notice that she is sensing something else or if she barely starts veering of course. If she starts even slightly pulling, make her sit until she calms and make her look at only you. If you have to, push her hiney to the ground and reinforce it by saying sit. It takes time... I am still working with my lovely dog on this stuff! And if nothing works and she still won't listen... look for rescue groups or even friends or family members that might be willing to take in the lovely creature before you resort to a shelter. Hope it works out.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• First of all, why would you walk your dog with your child in a frontal baby carrier? That's not a good idea; put him on your back, not on your front, or put him in a jogging stroller. Second, NEVER wrap the leash around your wrist, that's a great way to break it; even though your dog is big, there are ways to hold the leash that don't involve wrapping. Third, owning any pet is a lifelong responsibility. Take your dog to training classes, or work one-on-one with a trainer. This is something that can easily be fixed with a little patience and practice. If your dog were aggressive toward children/adults, that would be another story.
    Anonymous

• I would concentrate on training the dog before getting rid of her. Dogs take work they are not always easy. I would get her a Gentle leader head halter because that will help you get control and keep that from happening plus it will teach her how to walk nicely on a leash. I have used them on great danes, Mastiffs several big dogs and I am able to control them with this training tool. I would also recommend not looping the leash around your wrist because that is the best way to break it. Take the loop and put it on your thumb then take some leash and place it over your next finger so it looks like a U. YOu then grasp it in your hand. You will still have a good grip on the leash but if that were to happen again you can let go quickly if need be.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Honestly yes, I would find the dog a new home. I know that may sound cold, but I would.
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with a front baby carrier.
    Get a choke collar with the spikes that stick out,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes, try dog training 1st, your dog may end up in the pound euthanized.
    Macysheryl

Answer by Macysheryl at 9:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009