For those who sew...

Is it hard to put a zipper in something? (I thought I heard this once.) I found a really good tailor and would like to convert some of my "funnel" neck and mock neck tops & sweaters into zippered pullovers (cotton ribbed t-necks and polar fleece tops).

Would this be possible to do? I know I could ask the tailor (and will) but there is a slight language barrier, so I wanted to check on this board first.

I also want to convert one ribbed sweater into a zippered cardigan.

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• A zipper is sewn into a seam allowance. You won't be able to install a zipper unless you do it on a seam. You could take your clothing items and cut them up the back (if they don't already have a seam) and add one that way but it will change the fit of your garment.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Its possible, but it can be challenging, the biggest problem is if you don't do it exactly right, the neck and body of the shirt get too tight. It also creates a seam down the back of the garment which can be really annoying. Also, anything without a hem at the bottom (usually they are just surged or ruffled at the bottom instead) are really hard to do. The sweater would depend on the weave or knit if it could be done or not, I personally don't touch sweaters, there is too big of a chance of something unraveling. I sew some of my own clothes and do my own tailoring because I am tall (6') and have to make things, especially pants, fit.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009