I need some serious help right now.

I'm begging my way into this new college and have to explain the the Admissions girl why my GPA wasn't to their standards last year. I've run out of things to say. I've given the reasons I can think of but it doesn't seem like it's enough.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That you were going through a pretty tough time and dealing with a lot at once, and that it got you a little of track, but have since recovered and are back better than ever wanting a second chance!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Truth is usually the best answer. If you've given that and it's not good enough, you may need to go a step above her.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Last year was my first year taking care of my son by myself. He was ten months old when we moved to Clarksville. Between that adjustment and my babysitter problems I started missing class and got behind. Eventually, I started sleeping all the time and wouldn’t eat or do anything really. I’ve always battled with depression, but that was an all time low. I’d show up to class but not really care about school. I guess you could say I did the best I could considering the circumstances. I didn’t start getting better or even attempting to get better until over the summer. Everything is getting under control now and things are better.

I’ve been looking forward to going to Tech ever since I applied there. I was hoping to be able to start over there with a clean slate. I know I can do better than what I was doing last year. I feel that there is better opportunities for me at Tech.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• . I understand that if I got in that it would conditional. I’m willing to work as hard as I can and I know that I can do it. I understand, now, that school is important and that having the career I want relies on it. I’m fully taking it seriously now. I need this chance in order to finish school.

Thank you for taking the time to let me explain myself. I don’t want you to think that this kind of thing is going to happen again, because I’m not going to let it.

This is what I have so far..
    SaraP1989

• Ahhhh. Might be too much truth in the above!

"I moved with a new baby. Rather than taking time off from school to deal withthese things, I chose to continue my education and still managed to get a (fill in the blank) GPA despite the challenges of a new home, a new baby and (maybe add something here)."

Focus on the accomplishments rather than on what you DIDN'T do.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree - its way too much info and kind of makes you sound "young" and unwilling to take responsibility for your actions. Yes, you admit your problems, but just saying "things are better now" doesn't really sound as though you understand what the problem was to begin with. I would say, "Last year, I was adjusting to single motherhood and it was a difficult challange for me. I wasn't giving school my full attention due to stresses in my life and my GPA reflects that. I regret that I wasted an opportunity to invest myself in my education and I am fully prepared now to try my best to succeed and excel, if you will give me the opportunity to try. I wish to get a degree that will allow me to provide well for my child and I am fully aware that I can only do that by focusing on school. I hope you will give me this second chance."
    It sounds more professional and humble.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• "I didn't do well because I didn't take it seriously. I had this attitude that I was better than all those people."
    You posted this on another question........why are you lying to people???
    Anonymous