What do you do if your out while potty training?

My 2 1/2 yr old son decided on his own his ready to potty train and does great at home but is terrified of the big potty. Today while getting groceries he said he had to go but wouldn't go on the big potty. He attempted to stand and do it but that didnt work either. He held it til we got home. Do you take a potty seat with you? Do you have any tricks?
THANKS!

Jaxonsmom

Asked by Jaxonsmom at 6:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a travel potty seat that you can set on top of the potty. It makes them more comfortable to have their butt fit into a seat and it helps prop them up.
    Anonymous

• Seat a boy backwards on teh seat, so he is facing the back and can lean against your legs so he doesnt feel like he is going to fall in.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have a seat that folds up and I carry in my back pack. It's plastic and easy to sanitize, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my dd is already potty trainhas been fopr a while but when were started out she would let me know. andi would take her to the bathrom
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• travel potty seat and use it at home so he's used to it. Mine used it for a while but now wants to use the big potty.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to echo that the fold-up potty seat is great for going out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009