Can babies get sick if they have been licked by a dog?

Our neighbor has a little dog and today the dog licked my baby. All the face was covered in dog's saliva. Gross! I don't know what to think.

The dog wears collar and have all the vets visit as it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pets

• No I really don't think so. Actually a dogs mouth can be pretty darn disgusting...They build up plaque that turns to tarter just like humans. Only since they are not brushing their teeth twice a day the tarter builds up faster. Tarter is made up almost completely by bacteria. If a dogs mouth is considered 'clean' then a bite would not be able to transmit rabies or tetanus. The only reason that I say a child would most likely not get sick by a dogs saliva is that (A) I am sure if your child was slobbered on you would wipe the saliva off asap and (B) there are very few zoonotic diseases/illnesses that could be transmitted in that manner. Most but not all viruses, spread by germs and not bacteria, are species specific. I think that this theory got started because a human bite tends to get infected and more so than a dog bite. This would be because of the germs in a humans mouth are in deed contagious to another human.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• no unless your child is allergic. My son is allergic to ONE dog. My brother and SIL have two and he breaks out (just on top of the skin) when one of them licks him. Benadryl does the trick.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No-i have three dogs of my own and also foster. I have two kids who have been kissed by many dogs from the day they came home from the hospital. Never once has anything ever happened to them.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Dogs' mouths are supposed to be cleaner than humans but I don't know.....a lot of dogs eat their own poop and lick their anuses. Ugh. Doesn't sound very clean to me.
    Anonymous

• No a dogs mouth is way cleaner then your mouth. Dogs have some kind of emzymes in thier saliva that kills bacteria, humans dont, so if you kiss your baby your are exposing him to more then what the dogs has.
    Anonymous

• Hope not, cause my daughter gets licked by my dogs all the time. We do try to keep them from licking her in the face, though, but sometimes they are sneaky. LOL!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The reason a dogs mouth is cleaner is because they have a higher body temperature then ours, therefore bacteria has trouble surviving in their mouths.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• READ THIS IF YOU THINK A DOGS MOUTH IS CLEANER.  It's not cleaner it's just that there germs are not the same as human ones.  Dogs don't get thing shumans get like staph and strep.  Don't just read this look it up to.

Anonymous

• i am not 100% sure....but i cant help but remember this story i seen on tv about a baby who was crawling in the back yard.....he managed to get a tiny ( to where you couldnt even see it) piece of raccoon poop...on his hand or something and then must have sucked on his hand -- it caused him to become very sick -- he wound up blind and mentally retarded....just because of the germs in that tiny little piece......so if you can imagine what a dog picks up outside....and then what they lick...I dont know...makes me kind of wonder about getting rid of our dog....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Nope, your baby chance of getting sick being licked by a human!
    Macysheryl

Answer by Macysheryl at 9:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2009