To the moms that have already given your little ones the H1N1 vaccine

I was really hesitant on giving it to my kids, seeing as how they are so little and everything and this being "new". After talking to the doctors today both my kids recieved the 1st shot of it after finding out the death rate on the children who have not had it. In a way I am glad they are getting it but I am also worried, I was wondering if your children have suffered any side effects or anything like that? My best friend said her neice and nephew came down with colds so she won't be getting the vaccine for her kids, which colds I can handle no biggie, just wondering if there was anything worse out there happening than that. A woman told me her daughter's speech wasn't normal after she got it (not too sure it had to do with the vaccine though) Any information provided is greatly appreciated, they go back in 6 weeks for the 2nd dose.

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 7:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• From all the medical articles/journals being read by my place of employement, medical field, there is no harm either direction. It may not protect (too soon to tell) but it will not harm your child either. I'm jealous you have the vaccine available. We do not have it yet. Bummer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Julian had his yesturday. he seems fine. I think its ok to get it.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• ok thanks, both of mine got the 1st set of it today since it comes out in 2 doses, so I am just triple checking we made the right decision lol
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If you are worried about side effects, request a thimerosal free vaccine. They are available. Tell your doctor in advance so they can be ordered if needed. Thimerosal is a mercury based preservative that people are linking to autism and vaccine reactions. Thimerosal is banned in the EU and UK. We can all agree that it's not good to inject anyone with mercury. You have the right to vaccinate your children if you choose and you have the right to the safest vaccines.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009