Dr. put me on prozac today, If you have taken this does it help?

The Dr. put me on prozac I don't know if I spelled that right, I was just wanting to know how others have done on this because at times I feel as I am losing it I am hopeing this will help any comments please nothing bad about taking meds for deppression.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Health

• I take 40 mg a day. My Hubby say's he can tell that it's helped with my mood swings. I was diagnosed with pmdd back in May. I can't really tell a difference but I will keep taking it as long as Hubby say's it's working. I do recommend you take it at night before bed. It makes me sleepy...
    Anonymous

• It worked for me years ago but I quit taking it. (I don't like taking meds so I stopped) I tried it again years later and it didn't work. I've tried other meds but didn't like them either so now I take the over the counter pill 5-htp. It's a neurotransmitter and it works for me and I don't have to take it all the time, only during bouts of depression. I also take Vit B complex. Prozac can work. If not, just keep trying until you find what works for you

Answer by admckenzie at 8:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I took it for a while years ago. I liked it, but had to decrease the dosage. I felt better and had more energy while I took it. I take a Xanax every once in a while now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I was on it for years also the best it did for me is stop the crying but I still felt bad . Got worse this year and she up the dose, that when I decide this is it and went off of it. Today was a bad day. But weather you are on or off it, cut back on things that can wear you out. Say NO more often and just ride it out and do not be so hard on yourself that makes the feelings worst.  I also do vitamins.

Anonymous

• My doctor diagnosed me with anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was prescribed cymbalta first and then Prozac. Unfortunately neither one worked. They both made my heart race, dizziness, shaky, tired. Now i just deal with it all. Writing in a journal and trying not to put myself in a high stress situation is about all I can do. Best wishes to you, hopefully you have better luck then I did.

formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had pmdd back when my youngest was born and the dr put me on it and it helped very much. I came off it because I dislike taking meds too. Then about 3 years ago I have a nervous breakdown and none of the fancy new drugs worked so I asked for Prozac and it brought me back from my funk. I have recently stopped taking it and I'm doing great. It helps me get back to normal serotonin levels so I can keep up.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I hope that the doctor is a psychiatrist, or your family doctor is working with your therapist.

Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2009