Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Power of Attorney For Medical Care for Kids?

DH & I have a blended family--1 ours, 2 his, 2 mine. All of the children live with us full time. We want to be able to take each other's children to the doctor or dentist for check-ups & such (if necessary, depending on our schedules). I read somewhere that you can sign a power of attorney giving your spouse the right to obtain medical care for your children in your absence. Is this correct? Has anyone done this? Is there a standard form (I googled, but couldn't find it) or can we just write our own? I would assume it would have to be notarized as well?

Not trying to get our of taking care of my kids, lol, just trying to avoid some craziness at the doctor's office. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by funnyface1204 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 3 (19 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Yes, this is easy. My best friend has a sperm-donor-clinic child and a same-sex partner. Before the baby was born they saw a lawyer and filed paper work stating that in the event the birth mother was unable to give informed consent (like when she had an emergency c-section) that the life-mate could give that consent. The birth mother also added her mother, the baby's grandmother, to the order. This document also gives consent for things like school permission slips, doctor's visits, and emergency care provisions. In the unlikely event that the birth mother is injured or detained, the child will not go into foster care but be allowed to stay with the life-mate.

    Same laws protect step parents.

    It's not a "form" in most places. An attny will have to help you.

    Answer by ecodani at 8:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • As far as the doc, most will accept a signed letter saying so and so is allowed to attend to your childs needs. (at least mine does for my parents to take them). Most of these POAs are for a period of time, so they'd have to be redone often. Many schools and doc offices have a spot on thier forms for others allowed to knwo about medical issues or care for your child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • Yes it's possible, and a good idea! While some places will accept a stepparent doing these things, other places may not. Legally the stepparents don't have rights to the children unless specifically given to them by a parent in writing. It wouldn't have to be notarized, but it's a good idea so that it's "legit". It lets the doctor/dentist know that the parent actually did sign it.

    I have some on my computer that I drew up for DH to do for me and MIL (who has EOWE with SD in our absence). If you want a copy, PM me and give me your email address and I will send it to you.

    Answer by laird6372 at 6:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.