plz answer!! thank you

my daughter is almost 1 month old I breast feed her and sumtimes pump and give her the bottle but she is always hungry. if i pump she can drink 6ozs. can i give her formula and breast feed her? has anyone done this?

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have done both but only for medical reasons is why i added formula. it could be a growth spurt why she is so hungry! her tummy is small and so she is hungry. just follow her hunger cues :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes you can give her both I would combine the pumped with the formula. Also keep in mind that in the next 2 months her feeding will slow down, she is trying to triple her weight in 3 months. That is a good thing. my oldest feed for 45 min. each hour for 14 hours out of the day. So you can do this, it will only be for a little while longer. Hope that helped and kudos to you.

breastfeeding

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i agree with the above mother. my lil one was dificult to feed wen she went thru her growth spurt and i ended up giving her bottles but i didn't giv up on the breast and once she calmed down again she kept at the breast bcuz i never took it away from her. things will be better soon
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• At 1 month you are still in a critical time for supply development. Unless you have to, put that pump away & feed from the breast exclusively for now. Babies that young do act hungry all the time because they are hungry all the time. It is normal to feel like you are constantly nursing. When they go through a growth spurt, you are nursing all the time. That is how your baby tells your body, "Hey, I'm gonna be bigger & hungrier very soon. Pump up the volume." Supplementing with formula just defeats that purpose.

6oz for a 1 month old breastfed baby is a lot. Just because she can drink that from a bottle doesn't mean that is how much she should be drinking or that is how much she needs. It takes her tummy a few minutes to tell her brain its full, just like us. It is also much easier for her to get milk out of a bottle so she may seem like she's sucking it down.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I did breastmilk and formula with my son the whole time.... it doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. With my son I would breastfeed first and if he was still hungry then he would get some formula... BUT it's very important to pump after breastfeeding even if you are empty to tell your body there is that demand or your body will never catch up. I also started pumping before bed every night so that after awhile my body knew at that time it needed more milk... eventually I had enough expressed milk stored up I didn't need to supplment often with formula... and if he needed extra I have him what I had pumped.
    In the first 6 months, and the first 3 espeicially there is TONS of growing, so that is probably why she is so hungry.... with my son between his 2nd and 3rd month he gained 3 lbs and 2 inches... he was a nonstop eating machine!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just nurse her. Please don't give the formula too, or you will soon enough find you're on formula full time.

She's SUPPOSED to be hungry all the time. She's supposed to be the most demanding diva you've ever heard of. We bond so we don't EAT them out of sheer frustration. It has nothing to do with them loving us...that's automatic.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2009