Would you let your child fly alone?

If so at what age? My son flew by himself when he was four years old to visit my sister in Chicago (he is now 21). I was a complete wreck when this happened from the time he got on the plane until he got off....to and from. Now my sister would like my daughter to come visit and she is only (almost) three. I don't think in this day and age I can let her go.....what do you think?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 8:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• 3? no way! i couldnt or wouldnt do it. I wouldnt let my 6 year old either maybe my 7 year old since she is mature and i am sure she would be fine and if it was a nonstop.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No no no!!!! i would go NUTS if I had to put my kiddos on a plane, and they are way older than 3...... In fact, mine ask almost yearly about flying to see their dad, but i would rather drive halfway an meet him as opposed to putting my kids on a plane. I tend to over think the "what if's" but I cant help it especially when it comes to putting little ones on a plane
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 8:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• 3 is way too young, imo. If her aunt wants to fly out & get her, that would be a different story.

I haven't let any of my kids fly alone & the only one I would is my 15 y.o. (My others are 10, 7, 7, & 5). My aunt & uncle were killed in an Alaska Airlines crash & I have read the reports from that crash. The passengers knew for about 30 minutes that they were going down & they were going to die. I cannot imagine a child being alone & going through that experience. I realize that it is highly unlikely that the plane would crash but it just isn't a chance I am willing to take. Each family has to decide this on their own but I would think it over very carefully.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I'm not sure. I don't think I would until my child was a teen. Mistakes happen and people can take advantage of a lost child. I wouldn't feel right about not knowing who was sitting next to my child on the plane. While chances are nothing will happen I don't want to take the chance my child will be unattended sitting next to a pervert. I used to work at a sexual assault center and it has made me more of a paranoid parent than I should be. By teen years I think my child will be old enough to know to scream, fight back, and listen to intuition. And if lost my teen can call and find out how to make a new connecting flight if need be. A child of seven or eight might not be able to navigate an airport if lost.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Nope. Not for a million dollars.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No..My daughter is 7yrs old and I wouldn't think of letting her board a plane without either me or daddy. Not in this world these dayz. to scary.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I rose on my own in a plane when I was 10. It was scary for me then! I wuld not let my child fly alone at 3 for sure. They are not quite old enough to have a grip on 'stranger danger' and following complex directions. I know airlines take every effort to ensure the safety of unattended fliers but I would not do it personally. Not that young. I would wait until closer to 9 or 10 minimum.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If they were older...maybe 9. My husband works for Southwest Airlines, though, so he knows a bunch of the flight attendants so I know the kids would be well looked after. They don't allow unaccompanied minors under like 7 or 8 years old anyway. But since we fly free it's just easier for my husband to hop on with them fly them wherever they would need to go and then fly home (not that it has ever happened).

We always traveled by train when I was a kid since my dad worked for Amtrak and when I was 12 or 13 and my brother was 10 or 11 we took the train up to Michigan on our own. We even got on in the yard before pulling into the station and had the whole cafe car to ourselves (perks of being an employee's children, lol). Fun times.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I started flying alone when I was 6 because my parents were divorced. I might let my daughter fly alone at that age but not any younger. Maybe I would wait until she was 7 or 8. If I could get a nonstop flight, that would be great. 3 is too young, IMO.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I flew alone when I was 9 or 10 and it was a bit scary then. I think they charge extra because someone has to put your child on the plane, then they check them regularly while in flight, then they take them off the plane and take them back to security, and have to id the person picking them up, its a nightmare!
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2009