How do I make southern style dirty rice?

I've got the sausage, rice, green and red peppers and onion. What spices do I use? How do I make it good?

Shyma

Asked by Shyma at 8:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Used tony's umm well that depend where you live i think tonys is sold only in the south. I live in louisiana you can used like all spice. mostly just caynne pepper black pepper and salt. cook your sasauge first then add your rice and water and let it boil out like your making jambalya.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Cheat. Get a jar of cajun seasoning.

Steam the rice in broth, chicken broth works well.

Crumble the sausage and fry it golden brown, add in the peppers and onions and some garlic. Saute for about 7 minutes, just to the point everything is getting soft. Add in the cajun seasoning and stir in. Always add your spices to your fatty mixture to open up the flavors. I would use 1 TB season for 2 cups rice. Then toss in the rice and stir over medium heat until the rice is coated in the seasoned sausage and veggies mixture.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Better cheat - get Zatarain's and add in extra stuff. ;o) (I love Zatarain's dirty rice! My kids all do too, even though it's spicy!).
    Anonymous

• OP-I'm from the south. If anyone found out I bought zatarans dirty rice instead of making it myself I'd be banned from going home....lol. I used to make it, I just don't remember, it's been so long :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Dirty Rice

Ingredients
    1 pound bulk pork sausage
    1 pound chicken livers, finely chopped
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    4 cups hot cooked rice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Cook the sausage and chicken livers in a large skillet until browned. Add the vegetables and saute until soft. Gently fold in the rice and parsley. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

A true Southern recipe for it. CM also has a southern cooking group if you want to learn to cook southern foods
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 9:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You can use Emeril's Original Essence as a spice for dirty rice. And you can add garlic powder. or fresh chopped garlic cloves.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm from SE Louisiana and I cheat. I have never made it from scratch I always buy Tony's or Zatarain's box mix. If your looking for one from scratch then I would google Frank Davis's recipes or Emeril's.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Frank Davis's Dirty Rice Recipe

http://www.wwltv.com/frankdavis/naturallynoel/07dirtyrice.html
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• And here is Paul Prudhomme's Recipe

http://www.kpauls.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=136
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• yup! Ya gotta have the chiken Livers in it to make it dirty rice!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009