Did you ladies get the seasonal flu vaccine as well as the H1N1

I'm 36 weeks pregnant today and have had an annoying cough for almost a week. All this talk about the flu this year has made me wonder if I should get it. I never gotten the flu shot previously since I have never had the flu. I worked in health care before and although they encouraged us to get it I never did and the people who would get it ended up getting the flu. I'm nervous about getting it and wanted advice from those that have gotten it while pregnant. I just don't want to harm the baby. I have done my research on the safety of it, yet I am still unsure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never gotten the flu shot and I'm not about to start now. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and have refused- just like I did when I was expecting my other two. My husband and children also don't get the flu shot. The simple truth is that this is the FLU we are talking about- not HIV- the FLU!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We all get the seasonal flu shot and my three kids got the H1N1 vaccine today. We didn't used to, but my eldest had a chronic health condition that pretty much mandates that we do.

FYI, you can't get the flu from the injectable vaccine, but yes, you can still get the flu but should be milder than it would otherwise have been.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I just got the H1N1 today. I do not plan on getting the regular seasonal flu. My OB today told me that in 25 years in the business, he's seen only ONE women in all those years have to be in the hospital with severe problems due to the seasonal flu. (Severe...not dehydration). With the swine flu, he's had 4 women in just the past month. His colleages have also each had 3-4. That's pretty scary to me. This flu likes to really attack pregnant women and I'm not about to be one of them and risk dying or losing my baby. He told me the mercury in the vaccine is less then you'd get eating a tuna fish sandwich so that made me feel better.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 9:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I got the H1N1 shot, and would get the seasonal flue one, but everyone is out of them around here.

The flue vaccinations do give you a dead form of the virus, so it is normal to feel tired and (for some people a little sick) as your immune system kicks into gear to get rid of the dead virus.

If you've never had a flue shot, just pay attention to the list of allergies they'll ask if you have first.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I got H1N1, everyone is out of the seasonal flu or I would get it also.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 10:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Nobody in my house will ever get vaccinated, flu shots, or anything that has to do with swine flu etc.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 11:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Heck no! I've never gotten any type of flu shot, and won't start now.
    I don't want to be one of those girls I've seen on the news that getsthe rare neurological disorder.
    also, my mom is a conspriacy theorist and told me not to get the shot.
    the things she says are a little batty, but everything she said was going to happen has...
    The phobia of needles doesn't help either lmao
    ChelseaG23

Answer by ChelseaG23 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No. I think making sure I have a good immune system is much more constructive than getting flu shots. Taking vitamins and eating healthy will benefit you longer and in many more ways. Not to mention... could entirely prevent you from getting any type of illness.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 7:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009