Private School - worth the money?

We plan on starting Kindergarten next year at a private Christian school. Any experience if it's worth the money.

DaphneMae

Asked by DaphneMae at 8:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For us, yes, because the public school here is crap and is 3/4 non-English speaking students. They've already had to shut down and double up classes due to illnesses too. My kids are ahead (academically) of other kids who attend that school because they have a LOT more one-on-one attention. In our school, there are around 65 students total in K-8. Sure, it's not cheap, but it's totally worth it for so many reasons. I really love our school. Honestly, it's even better than the Christian school I went to as a kid.
    Anonymous

• I can't speak for Kinder, as we'll be doing a private K next year too, but Ive always had my son in private preschools this is his 3rd year in one. I think it's totally worth it, I think the class sizes are better, the funding is better so there is more oppertunitys, ive noticed a lot more parent participation (at some schools its manditory like the one we are doing next year) I also like that they still do the pledge of allegience and have chapel. But those are two things that are important to me as a parent so they are things I look for.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We have done a private school and this is our second year. Worth it? Yes. But that means less expensive trips and other areas we cut back on. It is not a Christian school but it has everything we value. He is getting so much from it that I don't regret it at all. I have coworkers who keep telling me I need to consider public school. I will eventually. Right now he is in the right place and he could not have a better placement if we tried. My concern is when we do choose to mainstream him in a more traditional setting. He prefers independent learning and it suits his learning style. I'm afraid of what will happen when he has to do everything at the same time everyone else does it and in the same way. He chooses what he wants to work on and when. At three he is learning to read, write, knows his solar system, and loves anatomy. Worth it? Oh yes. Friends who have older children don't have half what he gets.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Where we live the public schools are really good and actually outdo the private schools on the state standardized testing. However if we were to move I would have to research carefully before I decided. I have two cousins who both went to private christian schools and one said it was a little more challenging to get into some colleges because they didn't have as many activity's to participate in or clubs to be part of to build up the college apps. However, thats a long way off for you and your LO. Go look at the public school, look at their test scores, the teacher to student ratio, then call some parents and ask if your really curious about it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I love our son's school (also where I went for 11 years). He is learning to work on his own and to set and meet daily and monthly goals. He is ahead of the public schools in our area, and they focus on learning the basics and using those basics when the work gets more difficult. His school is a Christian school, so he is attends chapel once a week, learn one scripture verse for each unit (6 verses/3 weeks), and a monthly scripture, we feel these things are very important. Definitely worth the money, he gets lots of one-on-one time (his class only has 9 students), he is comfortable socializing with kids and adults (K-12 in one building), and he is learning as much (and in some cases, more) than our local public schools. All of that combined with the beliefs and standards that we are working to instill in our child.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It really depends on the school. I know horrible private schools and I know good private schools. I know the same with public schools. My son is in an amazing public school system and is getting an excellent education. To me, a school isn't necessarily an indicator of success, a good teacher is. I know teachers that are teaching in private schools because they can't get into a public school to teach. (The private schools in my area pay their teachers much less than the public schools do). You have to do what you feel is best for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• totally worth it for us! My son gets the one on one and a much better education!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Thank you everyone!!!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 4:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Best money I've ever spent...love our school!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009