Do people in the south when they talk do you think they sound dumb?

I always watch movies about people in the south and they make us sound so dumb. I know we use country slag, but thats just how we talk I always get made fun of because I say sunt, spunt, drunk. Instead of sent, spent, drank. I know the correct way to say things but when I open my mouth I never say it the right way. What do you think when you see people from the south talk?

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 8:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm from the south and honestly I don't say those words with that type of dialect that you used as an example. I do, however, say things like "fixin to", "ought to," "I reckon," and in the right company I've even been known to throw out an "ain't got no," lol! But when I am speaking to strangers and not in the company of friends and family I use proper english, with a "ya'll" in there every now and again. But, yeah, in the movies we are portrayed as unintelligent just like all northerners are portrayed as being hard-a** jerks. Stereotypes, gotta love 'em.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think people who make fun of people from the south are the stupid ones. I am so freakin sick and tired of people ASSuming that I am uneducated because I am southern raised. If you want to get in to it what about allthose city folks that use that ghetto slang. They sound like they have never set foot in a classroom EVER!
    Anonymous

• I like it. It reminds me of when I lived there, and I like being called suge or darlin. Not babe, I get that up north and hate it!!!!
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Oh and the only people I have ever heard use those "words" you use are those idiot city folk that try to be southern. They think because it sounds country they are country. Which is not the case. It is infact people like you that make the real southern raised people look like inbred jackasses.
    Anonymous

• i dont know people who talk like that to where they change the word completly...lol
    but my family is mostly from Louisianna and have heavy accents but I can still understand and know what they are saying
    Anonymous

• That is so stupid to me. I know quite a few people who live in the south now, and they speak okay, and very educated. I hate the way new yorkers talk, they annoy me.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Do people from your area think you sound dumb?
    Anonymous

• Slang is a way of expressing ourselves through words! Do we always have to be correct? I don't think that usin slang makes us any less intelligent! I also feel that slang can show that you have a fun personality! Besides if someone don't like the way us folks from the south speak then hell, they don't have to listen!!! People that judge others by the way they talk or dress or look are the ignorant ones!!!

sdc9579

Answer by sdc9579 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Quite honestly I tend to judge those from "up north" as less intelligent than I do Southern people. I'm a born and bred NC girl, and I guess since I grew up around southern dialects I tend to judge the personality of a person, not their accent. But the people we lovingly refer to as "guidos" from places like Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, and New Jersey, now THEY tend to strike me as a few crayons short of a full box. I know that's a total stereotype and totally not true for 99% of people, but hey...at least I'm being honest here.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my family is from the south and they have an accent but I never hear whole words being changed either.

I dont really care when ppl have accents...its what makes us different. And no i dont think they are dumb because they come from the south.. pronounciation of a word doesnt really make or break any ones intellegence JMO
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009