My son is always sick and now we all are...im losing it. PIOG

I am sick and tired of sick. My son's been sick for weeks and weeks and weeks. My mom's watched him, my brother's watched him, they've both had to pick him up at daycare halfway through the day. Rusty and I have both stayed home with him. We're at the doctor's every week. We're losing money at work and paying for full weeks of daycare when we're only using 3 days (he's been home sick that much.)
Now, Rusty has the flu. I have severe pink eye in both eyes. Jonathan's developing another cough. I have a cold. I'm done, and exhausted, and irritated, and broke. and just fucking fed the hell up with all of it. At this point, I would like them to just end my assignment so that I can return to being a stay at home mom, collecting unemployment and keeping my son healthy.
What do I do? I'm losing it.
Posint this all over CM...Sorry...like I said, losing it. Oh, sry about the swearing, too.

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• relax, drink a ton of water, not literally of course...I believe you need antibiotics for pink eye if you havent gotten any yet.

Just calm down...stressing can prolong sickness..I know easier said than done but if you want to get better water, the antibiotics for pink eye, and rest will help you get healthy quicker
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• well, I feel ya - I feel like all we do in our family is keep passing around the flu, colds and eye infections. I just missed 2 days of work AGAIN,. me and my husand are battlling the flu symptoms , ear aches , sore throats whatever it is for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, my not even 2 yr old getting it once and now he has a running nose and gunky cough for over a week and the ugrnet care said its a virus yet.... none of us are getting better, I am in danger at my job even though they sent me home today - arg... I am so sick of it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

• I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm  

The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms. Most important, stay well hydrated! Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 10:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2009