Can I bring pumped breastmilk onto an airplane?

in a bottle?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call the airline directly and ask about that...sorry i dont know
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• This is a really good question and I really don't know. I would probably get up, take the baby to the bathroom - yuck, slap her on, put a blanket over my shoulder and over her head, and go back to my seat. Of coarse I would wear clothing more friendly for breastfeeding. Be discreet, and who is going to know? If you are uncomfortable then definatly ask the airline directly.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It's not that I'm afraid to nurse - I was just reading how someone who EBFs had trouble getting her dd to nurse on a plane but she took a bottle fine...I'm just wondering if I can bring a bottle as back up...?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Maybe if it's less than 3oz.????
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 9:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I found this in the TSA website:

TSA is also modifying the rules associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with, and now without, their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.

Breast milk is in the same category as liquid medications.

When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

When traveling with your infant or toddler, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the...
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 9:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• duration of your itinerary, if you perform the following:

1.Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
    2.Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
    3.Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm
    _Momof3_

• Yes, you can bring pumped breastmilk onto a plane...in any amount you deem necessary. They can't limit the number of liquids you need for a baby. If they try to take it away...make a fuss and ask to speak with a supervisor. If it is over their "amount" then they will require that you be tested for explosives and patted down but YOU ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE IT!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• They tested my son's water and let us pass..it was ridiculous but I'm pretty sure you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2009