My 9 yr old is begining to get bad headaches.

My nine yr old son is begining to get bad headaches, about 1 to 2 a week. I took him to the doctors and they don't know what it could be. Could this be the onset of puberty?

kingboys3

Asked by kingboys3 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• This happened to my daughter. Migraines. We put her through every test we could think of. Blood tests, CTscans, MRI's, xrays, 75 allergy tests, etc. After simple observation we concluded they were stress related. She's a very intense person whenever she works on a project. She's now 27, and still has them. She doesn't take any prescription meds as she doesn't like the feelings. She takes over the counter pain relievers. All of her schools, colleges, and jobs have been extremely understanding of this.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• get his eyes checked maybe the kid needs glasses.. if not take him to the doctor.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• IT could be. My son started getting headaches at about 11 years old and has had 2 MRI's and gets his eyes checked every year. His doctor feels they are from puberty and he will outgrow them. My son's school counselors son had the same issue and he outgrew them. My son takes 3 Advil with a little caffiene at the onset of the headache and they normally go away. It is important to take the Advil at the first sign of a headache. Also, keep him hydrated, feed properly so his blood sugar doesn't dip suddenly and he gets a good nights sleep...these all help prevent headaches. I also get migraines and this is everything that I do to prevent them. Hope he feels better soon, headaches like that are no fun.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Hi, I have a 9 year old girl and we just got glasses, this is also a terrible allergy season and kids can get sinus infections.
    Also with increase volume of homework, kids get stressed and tired. Try breaking up the workload some before and after dinner.
    mommy-o00

Answer by mommy-o00 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would go with maybe needing glasses myself. unless he is stressing about something.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It is probably migraines; they are commonly triggered by foods. You have a few options. Your son can keep a food diary. You can eliminate common trigger foods (not a complete list, but includes nitrates, MSG, HFCS, artificial colors and flavors, nuts, chocolate, vinegar, etc.). You can work with a nutritionist or dietician on structuring an elimination diet to determine the food trigger/triggers. Good luck

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It may be the start of puberty. Ds never had bad headaches like that but every kid is different. It could also be stress related because of school and homework. You may want to take him to get his eyes checked. If his eyes are fine after you get them checked you might want to take him to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• Is he drinking enough water? Sometime headaches are caused by dehydration.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009