Why is reading better than watching an educational TV show?

Bc my 18 month old will not let me read to him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• TV is entertainment....no matter what you're watching. It's fast moving, requires no patience, no concentration, no learning skills. All important things for kids. Reading encourages all of these.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• it depends entirely how you interact with your child. if the show has animals, numbers, letters words and you are able to point and explain as he watches (ie don't sit him and leave) and they are on screen for a good period of time, then I think it's just as good. They key is to interact with your child.
    Anonymous

• It is important to teach your children that reading is a valuable activity. You can reinforce that idea by letting your child see you read a book for yourself. At 18 months it is normal for your toddler to not want to sit still long enough for a whole story, and that's okay. You don't have to force them, just make it fun. If you start a story and they don't want to hear it anymore then you don't have to finish it. If they like to look at one page and don't want to keep going, let them stay on that page and talk about what's in the picture.

Also try some more fun rhythmic stories like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", or "Polar Bear, Polar Bear" both by Eric Carle. My son (15 months) LOVES these two stories.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• An 18 month old can only hold attention for a few minutes. Read until he is done. It's the use of language that is important.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Both things are great, but the closeness you build while reading to your child is what makes it better. Also, reading to your kids instills a want in them to keep reading and they do better in school.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• What helped when my kids were that little, is I would read the whole book to them, even if they seemed to no longer be listening. As they would get up and start playing with other things in the room, I would just continue reading as though they had never moved. They loved to sit and listen to books they already knew, but had very little patience with new books. This way, new books became familiar for them, because they were always still listening, even while playing with blocks or whatever else was in the room.

But, my kids also watch a lot of tv too, and not all of it is educational. I think just like in all areas of life, a balance needs to be found.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• TV is rarely educational. Books open kids up to a whole new world they get to use their imagination, increase vocabulary, learn something and it puts the child close to you and helps you continue to bond.

We don't own a TV never have and my kids have not missed it. They have tried to watch at my moms but were quickly bored. They are used to things that actually stimulate their little brains not something that encourages them to turn their brain off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• TV before age 2 can do more damage than provide benefits.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• At 18 months it is very hard for some children to sit still for a book. Try short block books and let him turn the pages. You don't even have to "read" them, just discuss what is on the page. Point and ask what things are etc. Preschool programing is like everything else in life...moderation is the key! Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Reading is a life skill. Watching a television is not. Read to your child for small amounts of time to accommodate his attention span. You don't have to ban television, but you shouldn't substitute it for reading time. We used to read out loud to our oldest as I was nursing his baby sister and he was running around the room. He read all of the Harry Potter books 2x i n 6 months when he was 9 and DD just finished the Lord of the Rings series (she is 10.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2009