Reading to much!

My daughter is 12 and has the reading level of a high school student. she is well ahead of her class in Reading and comprehension. I know all of this is good but I can't seem to get her out of a book! She has hit puberty and I notice that she is stating to gain weight. No doubt from the fact that she does nothing but bury herself in a book when she has free time. She has no interest in sports or anything like that. I have tried offering to ride bikes with her but she always says that she would rather read. I don't want to discourage her reading but I also want her to be healthy and not a couch potato... It has gotten just as bad as a child who watches t.v. all day. what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It is wonderful that she loves to read, but not in place of a healthy dose of exercise. At age 12, children should be getting a minimum of 30 minutes exercise per day ( some studies even say an hour). If she has a gym class at school then I wouldn't worry about it. If she doesn't, then I would suggest you come up with ways for her to be active. Being active does not automatically mean sports, she could rake leaves, mow the lawn, vacuum the living room, walk the dog, etc.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Tell her you'll buy her a book if she joins a sports team, any sport. And diet is VERY important, so make sure she's eating healthy meals. I was really into 3 things at her age, books, Hockey, and dogs. Maybe find her a friend that's really active?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Oowe! How about you find her a good book about a female athlete or girl her age that's really into a sport. Maybe reading about it would get her interested?!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It could be she is depressed. Reading is her only escape. In which case she needs counseling and you have to force her to do other activities.
    If she is truly just a book worm, as long as she is a HEALTHY weight, don't worry. If it seems a problem, tell her that you are mom, and whether she likes it or not she has to do something active every day for at least (set amount of time). She can choose or you will choose for her. If she doesn't cooperate, she doesn't read.
    Either way, it isn't healthy to read allll the time, and if she is cutting off social relationships, that is even worse.
    Good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You need to leave that poor girl alone. Just because her personality is one of a "homebody" doesn't mean she is in need of your pushing. You'll just make her resent you.
    She will be fine! There are plenty of girls and boys like her. They gravitate toward each other. She won't suffer socially, so relax.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I read ALL the time. My mom would send me outside and I would climb a tree and read all afternoon! Lol! I don't know what to suggest - maybe a gym membership if you can afford it. She can ride a bike or walk while reading. That is about the only way I ever exercised. I wasn't interested in sports at all. My mom would ask me to go on walks with her in the evening - just to spend time together and talk. Hmmmm! Maybe it was just her excuse to make sure I got exercise!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You never said she was OVERWEIGHT, so I stand by my statement. She has hit puberty...so she will gain weight. Don't expect her to be a thin model or push more physical activity than she gets though PE at school. That is damaging, believe me!!
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Buy a tread mill with a book stand on it. She can read and walk at the same time.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• lol, sounds like me when i was younger! it was so bad i would put a book in my text books. the school ended up banning books from me, only time i was allowed to read was either at home or in the library when there were no classes. (lunch time, yep, i'd skip lunch lol)

most would probly say banning them would be a horrible idea. but i guess it worked for me. at age 15 i ended up getting a job working at a preschool for school credit. i learned when it was time for a book and when it wasn't. i also had spent times with my friends just walking around the neighborhood.

i think as long as she's doing fine in school, it's ok. just try to get her to go out with her friends, even if you do have to set up rules about when she can read. it will help in the long run.
    Anonymous

• WOW!! I would NEVER tell a child to stop reading, NEVER. I would just let her be. Would you rather her be a bookworm or a drug addict? Pick your battles and this is one that I would let go. So what if she isn't athletic or super active, it really isn't a big deal. I would and always have picked reading over anything else and always will. I have learned so much from reading that I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009