OMG what do i do 4 year old and omg

My son is 4 and he is a frequent masturbater. he has been doing this since he was 1 1/2 years old is this normal and how can i control this?

MissTrevon

Asked by MissTrevon at 10:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is NORMAL!!! STOP FREAKING OUT. He is discovering a new body part and what that body part does. Just IGNORE it and he will stop, but understand that he will do it again later. There is nothing nasty about it, there is nothing wrong with it. He has NO idea that he is masturbating, all he knows is that it feels good. Leave it be.

Anon 9:57: YOU JUST NEED TO CALM DOWN. CPS DOES NOT NEED TO BE CALLED, THERE IS NOTHING NASTY GOING ON. TAKE A CHILD DEVELOPMENT CLASS AND YOU WILL SEE HOW NORMAL THIS BEHAVIOR IS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Uh no I have a boy and he's never done that, I have never heard of other 1 1/2-4 yr olds doing that either. Every child is curious and may put their hands there, but when my son did I told him not to because of the germs from his pee and poop. Maybe that could help control it. Tell him there are germs and not to do it. It's not like he is a teen and masturbating (in which you could say it's okay) he is just a child and way too young to even understand what he is doing. Don't scold him just say honey you'll get yucky on your hand that's where your pee comes from you don't want pee on your hand.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• A lot of boys do that. It's not masturbation. It is exploration. Try and distract him from doing it When it starts give him some thing else he can do with his hands instead of playing with his wee wee. Good Luck. Don't freak out to much he wont become a sexual predator or any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No it is not normal. this frequent masterbating could be a sign of sexual abuse. Who was he around at 11/2 years old to start this? Young children do play doctor and experiment but 18 months old to start this and continue and often masturbate at age 4 is not normal behavior. Mama the time is now to investigate. 18 months old? now 4 years and often? Something is wrong. You are asking for help and as a former foster parent I am telling you sexually abused children act out and masterbate. Trusted family, trusted family friends, and it's our secret, here let me give you candy or a gift. This is not normal. Good luck mom and I hope you get to the bottom of this.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• anon why are you bashing her? she came for opinions. Kids experiment, and touch themselves. This sounds like there is more too it, but to bash her like this is just plain wrong. You think she is doing this and telling the world? Give me a break , she's asking for opinions and help. I love it when people are nasty and post anon. You would of been better off not posting at all anon.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No it is not normal. Sure kids touch themselves. Frequent masturbation no. Not at four years old.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It is very normal for kids to do this. They feel pleasure the same way we do. Ask your doctor. I tell my 4 year old that it is ok to do that, but he can only do it when he's alone, in the tub or in his bedroom.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Seekerofshells is right. It CAN be a sign of abuse. OP- you should talk to your pediatrician.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Define masturbation. Like just poking around down there? Because my 2 year old does that, and she has not been victimized. I do think the op needs to calm down, and stop acting like he's doing a bad thing. Tell him to do it in private. When a kid gets banished to his room to do something, it tends to stop.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My daughter has done her own "exploring" I learned and was told by her Dr to ignore the behavior and do not tell them there being "bad". It's a normal stage of devolpment.
    Anonymous