Does anyone travel I90 in the winter?

I have plans of heading home in the winter and our end destination is Washington and the easiest way to get there from Illinois is I90. I have to admit that I did not really think through the whole winter thing. For anyone that lives near it or travels it often is it closed for long periods of time? Should I be good to go?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 11:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Travel

• i live in missoula mt... so i live right on I90. Depending on whether several of the passes can either be very difficult to get trough or closed. Montana is pretty good about keeping the roads as well maintained as possible but it is a big state with big counties so there can be time delays in plowing.

Im not sure about outside montana. But i think as long as there aren't any major storms that you should be good through montana if you are comfortable with winter driving.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/

heres the montana road report site...search on google for different state sites and bookmark them so you can check before you leave as well as on the road if you can find internet access

also dont forget 511 the road report phone line
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't have a time line so I figured if things are really bad then I can just take a break. As you suggested the road sites and 511 is the way I was planning on keeping up to date. My husband is just coming home from deployment and I really will want to get home. I was looking for first hand advice, thank you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Unless you get caught in a storm or maybe right after one then you should be ok. Keep up to date on the roads an weather conditions while you're on the road and if there is a chance of things getting bad then find the nearest hotel! Also, make sure you're prepared to service in your car for a day or 2 (I'm sure on a freeway the size of I90 there's almost no chance of being stuck for more then several hours, but it's good to be over prepared... you could possibly go off the road in ice and snow and be stuck for quite awhile! Also, Verizon gets the best reception along I90.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just have emergency supplies in the car in preparation (chains, water, blanket, etc) and check the darn weather. We've driven the I 90 from Billings, MT to Seattle in the winter and it was fine but the weather cooperated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Many states also have a weather report for the roadways online so you can check the status, the I90 runs straight through NYS and we live in Buffalo and have travelled it.

JUST take the PP's advise and have emergency supplies. Once year taking the 90 from Erie PA back home it was closed due to horrible snow in PA....we were forced off an exit just passed Erie (Erie has TONS of hotels, but no we had to get off after that)! I had my son who was about 2 years old at the time and we were forced to stay at a truck stop with no power and hundreds of people.

I'm a diabetic so one of the ladies made me a sandwich and something for my son, but it was just aweful. They were sending stranded people to a school around the corner to sleep in the gym but the road it was on was another RT that goes right into Buffalo so we went for it....got back on the () in NY and it was CLEAR. Took 10 hours for a 2 hour drive!!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2009