I AM GETTING OBSESSED WITH PROTECTING MY SON FROM VANISHING LIKE THESE KIDS I READ ABOUT EVERY DAY, I CAN'T SLEEP... WHAT DO I DO

DANESE2009

Asked by DANESE2009 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• pray & teach him stranger danger & what to do in a emergency.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm like that too! But I advise you to pray..give all your worries to God. Have a good night sleep my dear and let HIm do the graveyard shift...
    mommyposh

Answer by mommyposh at 12:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• ^ huh?^
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We live in a pretty nice area, and I sleep pretty soundly with DH and my 95lb Doberman in the house!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You teach ur children to be aware. You teach them to scream and make a LOT of noise if someone tries to take them. And teach them to yell "FIRE" instead of help. People come running to "fire" and not to help (sadly enough). And you ask me about our National Child ID Kit.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• what didnt u get anon??? she said it clearly enough
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think we all share this horror. I agree with the above posts by really teaching awareness and practicing it by question/answers once a month or so. Help differentiate a stranger from a playmate's parent, etc. Tell them to never leave the playground, scream fire, bite, kick, squirm, if picked up by someone they don't know, if lost, ask a woman for help or a fireman (unlikely he'd be in the area) and never follow someone who offers candy, a puppy, money, star wars legos, etc! Use the buddy system and all that stuff we're learning. Teach your phone number and address too but most of all, remember that predators are more often people we know rather than the random kidnapping kind. Try to rest easy and encourage your child to talk to teachers at school about concerns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think anon :30 was saying "huh" to the previous two posts about praying and turning it all over to God.

Yeah...right.

Losing sleep over the "what if's" in life isn't doing your any good. It's not doing your kids any good. You teach them what to do and what not to do. You seek some professional help because your fears are now interfering in your daily life and you need some help, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• >,< Children are more likely to be kidnapped by a family member then anyone else. Don't let your son around ANYONE- don't go to church, the park, don't leave your house for god's sake! Put bars on the windows and locks on the doors. Stay inside. Always. Thats the only full-proof way to keep him safe! Seriously though, stop being so paranoid! If he's between 5 and 8 he should be pretty self-sufficient- just watch him out in public, I'm sure he knows not to go with strangers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think you could be a little more sympathetic here, i think it is easier said than done but yes, you should try not to worry about it and trust that God has His hand on everything and no matter what happens it is ok because God is in control.

It is the news and the world that says all this stuff and causes us to be fearful and worry. but fear and worry are not of God, the devil is scaring you, teach him to be safe, you can also give him a whistle to blow along with the yelling fire thing, just do your best and try not to worry so much. Just trust in God to take care of you. He will do a better job than we ever could. :)
    browneyes87amy

Answer by browneyes87amy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2009