how do i get my five year old to start to pay atten to me with out yelling at him?

Asked by BeccaJeff26 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know but when you find out will you let me know? My son doesn't really pay much attention to me unless he wants something. lol he's a daddy's boy so when daddy's around he's fine. I try to do activities outside. He usually gets excited about that.

Answer by silence68shh at 2:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Try looking up Dr. Sears Piedatrics. He does have a website, you just have to look it up. He's great at getting kids to listen without having to yell!

Answer by onespoiledwife at 3:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• eye contact, and close range.

Answer by dannersmell at 4:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Eye contact, say his name, don't yell from across the room... get in his face if you need to.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I started making mine look me in the eye and I say what I got to say in a low whisper. Seems to work prettywellfor us.

Answer by SensualScents at 6:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I found with my 5 year old daughter that the face to face whisper works great!

Answer by HMFIC4 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Every time you need to speak to your son, go TO him, kneel down to his level so you are not looking down on him, rather looking at him. Tell him to look you in the eye and as long as he is looking you in the eye you tell him what you need. You don't have to yell or raise your voice. Any time he breaks eye contact with you, stop talking and tell him to look you in the eye again. Speak what you need him to know only as long as eye contact is being kept. If he is having a hard time keeping his attention on you, put your hands on either his chin, shoulders, or either side of his face. Just to keep him from pulling away. Once you have said what you need, he needs to respond with a "Yes Mom". This eliminates him using any excuse that he didn't hear you or you feeling like you have to talk louder and louder till you are yelling to get his attention. You will find yourself not getting as frusterated and less stressed.

Answer by jhg374 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2008