Do you call it "Dressing" or "Stuffing?"

I was just wondering, at Thanksgiving dinner, do you refer to the dish as"dressing" or "stuffing?" And if you call it stuffing, do you actually stuff the Turkey? I don't know why I am wondering this, but where I live,(TX) We call it dressing, and I have never known anyone to actually stuff the carcass of a turkey. So..Do the two dishes actully differ from one another other than one is "stuffed?" And what do you call it?=)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I call it both.
    And sometimes they do stuff the turkey with stuffing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i call it stuffing. and my mom always did actually stuff the turkey. but i call it stuffing even when it isnt in the turkey. im from pa and we just move to tx. i never heard dressing. so thanks for informing me considering i live in tx now :)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We call it dressing, and I'm in TX too. And our dressing doesn't come out of the turkey. It's always separate. The only time I hear "stuffing" is when someone's talking specifically about Stovetop Stuffing.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Stuffing, though we've never stuffed a bird.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I call it stuffing but have never stuffed a turkey. My mom calls it stuffing and she cooks it in the turkey. My mom is from TX (where I was born and raised) and has lived there for all of her 61 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Stuffing and sometimes I do it in the bird, sometimes just on the stove ...in the bird comes out much moister and is awesome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I call it stuffing and I alway stuff the turkey, well actually last year I didn't stuff it I think I like it better unstuffed, cuz it gets way to soggy if you stuff it at least mine does
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I call it stuffin and I actually do stuff the turkey. From what I can gather stuffing is a little drier then dressing, or at least the dressing I have seen from my In laws thanks giving. I didn't like it it was like a bread pudding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Hmmm.. Interesting... I've personally never heard anyone from around where I live refer to it as stuffing when it is not stuffed into a bird. The reason I asked this question is because I've mainly only heard "northerners" call it stuffing, so I was thinking it was more of a geographical thing than just a personal preference, but I guess not. I guess it like calling carbonated beverage a "Soda," or "pop," or "Coke" or whatever. LOL Also, we do not cook our dressing on the stove top, we bake it in the oven. It kind of neat to me to see how much other people differ.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I call it both.
    Jodie269

Answer by Jodie269 at 2:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009