• In the Spotlight:

How do you deal when your kids attitude really sucks!

My 10 year old DD is driving me nuts! She has started back talking me daily, she complains loudly and dramatically anytime she is asked to do anything (she still does what she's told though!). I'm broke and she attacks me over not being able to do things for her like I use to. She has never been spoiled, or lacked anything she needs. I want to scream when she gets into her moods!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like her hormones are starting to kick in. I know that when my children hit this age the same things happened. What worked for me was taking a step back. Instead of yelling and getting frustrated I would talk calmly and I would try to understand how they felt. Try talking to her and see if she has anything going on in her life. Maybe do something with her just the two of you, like painting nails together. Let her know that you are there for her and not her enemy, even though she feels like you are.

Good Luck and hopefully she will grow out of it, I know my children did.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Try a share book! I have a 10 year old DD and bought a journal. She keeps it under pillow and when anything! is bothering her or she has questions, she writes in it and places it under my pillow. I write back. Place it under her pillow and she always calls me into her room to "talk".I don't always see it on a daily basis, but it has helped more than you could imagine! Good luck!
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Back talking in my house is a big no no along with disrespect...at 10 they should know better. But like pp said, it could be hormones. Not an excuse for letting it go though. Id find a consequence for the backtalk and sass. I give my 12 year old one warning about his mouth/attitude and its always the same "phrase" so he knows he's getting close to the line. I use "Steven, I dont like your tone of voice" If he persists, he's in his room for the rest of the night.

Children do have problems with hormones and emotions at this age, it our job to teach tem control.

As far as being asked to do something. My kids have consistant chores ad they get privlidges when those chores are completed consistantly. But they also know that if I have to argue with them to get it done or listen to whining about it, they are going to do it anyhow, but without the reward...and if they really push it, they'll be in their room...cont.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 11:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• again for the rest of the night.

If you cant speak nicely in my house, then you dotn get the provlidge of conversing with others. But with 5 kids, 3 of them between the ages of 9 and 12, this is how we keep the peace.

Good luck mama :)
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 11:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Backtalking - um - in my house my eyes usually does the talking. She is probably going through a phase and will out grow it. However, make sure she knows that this is unacceptable behavior, that may help her grow out of it much faster. Good luck.
    mommydearest31

Answer by mommydearest31 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• how about every time you ask her to a couple of things you offer a simple reward but every time she back talks you take something away
    chrisana

Answer by chrisana at 7:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yeah, I think she's going through a phase.myself. good luck with that.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Can't talk to me respectfully, then you can sit on your bed. Disrepect is a big no no. It starts out with a little back talk here and there, you let it go. then they get more bold until things are blown way out of control. Got take control now.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Hormones are starting mom. They morph overnite from our sweet lil girls into hormonal monsters! lol Id send her to her room. I also tell mine to go back out the front door and to leave her attitude outside because im not having it in our house.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009