i can't control him anymore..

in the past couple months my son has seemed to get a lot more out of control. i know he's supposed to be in his "terrible two's" and stuff but he's almost 3 now. he has been testing me A LOT more lately. and barely listens to me when he used to listen to me all the time. and my mom doesn't want to babysit him anymore because he doesn't listen to a word she says. i know a lot of you are gonna say that it's just a phase, but i honestly think this is going to become a real big problem in the future. i need advice!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YOU are the parent. Take control. Remain consistent.
    Take up a no tolerance policy. No more slacking mom. Step up to the plate and discipline him when he does something that's not okay.
    It's hard to give better advice without more detail, so that's all i can really say.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Shoot for a more consistant routine. Start trying to explain ahead of time what is going to happen. In a few minutes we're going to get ready for bed, etc.
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 2:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Hi hun, I have a 2 year old too (he will be 3 in March). I too have days where I feel like he just won't give up his tantrums. This is what I do. If he kicks or hits me or someone else or hits them with a toy, I slap the top of his hand, and put him in his room for 5 minutes. I don't care if he cries, screams or kicks his feet in there, at least hes not hurting anyone and he'll be okay. Schedules for naps and bedtime, naps at 2:00p.m. and then bed at 10:00p.m. I find it helps when they are on a schedule and they understand what no means. Sometimes if my son is really naughty I will tap him on the butt with my fingers but other than that he does fine. Lately I have been counting and if I get to 3 he will go for a time out. Make sure you let him know its not okay to do things you don't want him to do and don't let up. He'll come around, I promise ;-)
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Write down what is really important to you, the big things. Be very consist with those and carefully pick your other battles. Make sure you notice the good things and praise him bigger than you punish.
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 2:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Personally I think it all has to do with the punishment given. I had the same exact problem with my son who is the same age a few weeks ago. I posted a question about it and i got some really good advice. Which i had heard before but i started to finally use it. If he hits, then he gets a little spank and a time out. If he throws a tantrum then a time out, throws toys then he has to pick up the toy hand it to you and the toy gets put in a time out. ECT. But the biggest thing is consistancy! dont let on or two tings slide because it wasnt that bad, or the next time it wil be worse! Always make sure you do the same thing! And tell him what your doing and why he is getting punished. I did this with my son and my hair has finally started to grow back. lol just kidding but it really has halped a lot! He is just seeing how far you will let himgo before you explode, testing his limits. hope it works! good luck!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Like others said, consistency is very important. If you tell him to do something, only tell him that one time!! If he doesn't obey - discipline, deal with it immediately. Don't give warnings, more instruction or explanation. He needs to obey the first time. be consistent with your discipline and your response. (Personally I don't care for counting - it tells them they can take their time doing what I asked. I expect my kids to obey the first time). Also, make sure that he hears you - I have one son who gets so distracted by what he is doing. I am learning to be sure I have his attention before I tell him to do something.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Keyword you used is CONTROL. He is a human being, not a robot or slave. Try seeing things from his perspective. Consistency is very important, but keep in mind that he also has a mind.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2009