My 2 year old baby has a bad habit of playing her navel. How will I stop her?

My third baby is now 2 years old. She has a bad habit of playing her navel. I am so scared of it every time I see her pulling her navel out. Though there is no infections yet, I see it as her hobby when she is alone watching TV and feel sleepy. So it is hard for us. I do not know how to stop her. Can you please give me advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To me, this sounds like she is playing with her belly button like a child would suck his thumb. I wouldn't be worried about it, she may outgrow it. At least with her playing with her belly button you don't have to worry about braces. You could help her to prevent infection by letting her know that while it is ok to play in there, she MUST do it with clean hands before and after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• As long as it isnt red or sore I wouldnt bother her... its obviously her comfort thing
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Lol! My best friends little girl does this. It is how she falls asleep at night. They have to leave her onesies unsnapped or she won't go to sleep. It's her pacifier! I wouldn't worry about it unless she is causing sores.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• yes really, she do it just like a pacifier for her to get sleep. so far no soreness, what I am bothered is she pulled it out for about a 1 cm of her navel. Every time she do it and caught playing I just push it back, back to normal as if nothing happen but her habit makes her navel outie.
    annaloumercado

Answer by annaloumercado at 7:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 19-month-old does the exact same thing. I just have to keep her nails really short or she tends to scratch it and make it all red. Otherwise, I'm not too worried about it.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 7:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Lol....I still do that. Always have! And I'm 40 :) I think she'll probably be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If she gets a sniff of her finger she'll quit it LOL
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Playing with her belly button is better than "playing" a little further south, which is also a comfort thing for SOME children. I'd be thankful, LOL! But I bet that pulling her belly button out looks uncomfortable. However, I'd let it be. Keep pushing it back like you are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2009