what happens at your postpardum appointment?Also, what type of birth control do you suggest?

Just wondering! Also, what kind of birth control would you suggest? I like the idea of mirena, but the stories seems awful! Also the nuva ring, but some of those stories arent too good either! I definetly want kids in another 2 years, so i dont want to jeapordize that! I will ask at my appointment in november!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Basically, they check you out to make sure you've healed properly...oh and you get a pap smear (how fun, I know). As far as birth control, I have the Mirena and I absolutely love it. If you're afraid of hormones, I would go with the Paraguard.

Everyone I know that has an IUD has not had a bad experience. That is not to say that you won't...every woman is different and your body may react differently...however, in my experience IRL, I haven't met someone who didn't like it. Just make sure to note your "side effects." Mine were: cramping for a few days after insertion (and bleeding), then lots of discharge (it was weird). Then, after a few months, it went away and it's like normal...except I haven't had a period. I am breastfeeding, so maybe that's why.

My friend tried the Nuva Ring and it was a horrible experience for her. Again, not to say that you would, but that seems more complicated anyway. You wear a new ring...
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• (cont.)...every week. Then of course, you skip a week. The first one or two weeks, you are also supposed to use spermicide when you have sex, because at that point it's not as effective as advertised (99%)...It starts being 99 or 98% effective at week three, but I mean, what's the point at that last week?

The IUD for me, seems like the best choice. Again, this is something you should definitely go over with your GYN.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i just talked to a lady the other day who had the mirena but got pregnant. and her dr told her that it's becoming more common for women to get pregnant w/ the mirena. i would look into maybe the copper IUD or maybe natural family planning (tracking your cycles)
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i don't like any options for bc so we have been using NFP, which actually worked for us but you have to be aware that there is a risk of pregnancy :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I loved nuvaring!

You actually don't put a new one in every week. You leave it in for 3 weeks and take it out for one (the week you would be on your period).

It was so convenient for me esp. since I could never remember to take the damn BC pills.

http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/aboutNuvaRing/howDoIUseIt/index.asp
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 11:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2009