Leg cramps

So I know that those painful charlie horses in your legs are caused by low potassium or other things during pregnancy. Well I had one 3 nights ago and they do usually still hurt a few days later, but since I have 2 other kids now I'm constantly chasing after them and still going on long walks despite my leg muscle hurting from the last cramp I had. Yesterday we walked really far and now today the muscle is just so tight when I walk around on it. Anything I can do to relax it so it stops hurting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Try to put a heating pad on it, or get an old sock, fill it with rice, and stick it in the microwave for a minute or two. Then put the sock on your leg (this is also really great for neck pain FYI). Make sure you eat at least one banana per day to help avoid future charlie horses and if you do get one in the middle of the night jump out of bed and stand on it right away - that should make it stop hurting sooner.

I had these too and they were awful!!!! I hope you feel better :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• im with u on this one... They hurt so bad,,, All i can tell u is what I do and that is rest my legs i know its hard with other kids but that would make it better and also take a nice warm bath and relax.. :)

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• hydrate like hell and invest in potassium pills...its not harmful to take them because your system will just flush out whatever it doesnt need....but yea a hot bath works well, and a massager helps too...added bonus if you have a massaging shower head..lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• haha. I am just like this...all the freaking time. During all three of my pregnancies, my potassium AND magnesium would plummet. The thing the doctor was telling me is the magnesium keeps all your vitamins in check. So to try to fix it, they put me on vitamins...with prenatal vitamins...it didn't work. I had to endure 36 hours of PAINFUL potassium IV. The thing that sucks, it that since it started, it hasn't stopped. So I have to get a drip every few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009