What do u do?

When your toddler dont listen to what u say? When u tell him no and he keeps doing it over and over? The doctor told me to just move him from the spot and tell him no but he goes right back.. He is 19months old... What do u do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, if you think it's bad at 19 months wait till he's two. You have to engage him in something else. There is no such thing as armchair parenting. For example if he is hitting the wall with a hard toy move him and say "you can't hit the wall with that becuse you could damage the wall. You can hit this pillow instead" Then play with him. Make a big deal about how fun it is. He will catch on, and instead of you having to harshly correct him the two of you can build on your love & trust for each other & enjoy eachother's company.
    That of course is just one example, but you get the idea I think. Good luck!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 2:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Consistency in what you are doing, they will get it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• time outs for my son started at about this age.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think besides just removing him from what he is doing, you have to give reinforcement that what he is doing is a no-no. Not only that but if he is going right back to it, you need to give him something else to do, and praise him for good behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• with my18 month old saying no isnt enough i have to distract him as well and he seems to forget what he was after till a couple days later so you could try that
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Timeout !!!!! Stat consistent ! I have learned alot from Supper Nanny ! LOL It has worked wonders for us . All I have to do is ask her is she needs to go sit in timeout and she stops .
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Oh and make "timeout" in a place where there are no toys tv or he can even see you . We put her in the hallway where all there is are doors and she cannot see us in the living room.
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2009