2 1/2 yr old son waking up screaming - could this be recognizing the need to go?

My son (age 2 1/2) used to sleep through the night like a rock. Lately he's been waking up screaming hysterically like with night terrors - except he doesn't put himself back to sleep.. it goes on & on for quite some time. I noticed it seems like he's doing this when he goes potty in his diaper (I noticed that his diaper was warm in one case & could tell that when I came in he pooped in another circumstance). Does anyone have any experience with this sort of scenario occurring around potty training? Is it possible that he's just waking up b/c he needs to go potty and he's recognizing it now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• possible. My daughter woke up crying the other night saying potty. I took her potty and she peed quite a bit. She cried the entire time until I put her back to bed and then she was out.

Last night she wet the bed and woke up crying. (daddy was too lazy to give her a bath and put a pull up on so of course I end up dealing with the wet sheets at 3 am!)

So yes, it's possible it's related to that. Does he calm down after you change him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• He calmed down even before I changed him... but with alot of coaxing. I had to coax him to change him, also... actually it was more like lay down the law that it WAS going to happen. Then I just put him back in bed and we said night-night to eachother... .and he soothed himself back to sleep from there. I just hope this stops b/c I'm starting to remember what it's like to have an infant again! I might decide NOT to have another at this rate! I can hardly think and it's only been 2 nights.
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009