Toughy

So luckily this year we'll be near family for Halloween since it's on a Saturday and my hubby has Friday off. We'll be staying w/ my parents who live about half an hour from his parents/grandparents/my grandparents/close friends (they all live in the same area). I want to take my kids (3 years old and 10 months old) trick or treating to everyone's house. But lugging them in the car, the constant getting in & out will get old quick. 2 of the places are in walking distance, the rest we have to drive to. Plus, my 10 month old's costume is bulky and I don't even know if the carseat straps will fit over it. How can I make it to everyone's house, or will we just have to skip it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used to try to do exactly what you are talking about. Not just Halloween, but other holidays etc. I adopted the rule that it is not fair to the kids to be drug around to put on a show for everyone elses benefit. I make it perfectly clear that all the adult relatives are welcome to come see the kids in their costume etc. and have welcomed the few who show up w/snacks in my home and welcomed them to accompany us around the block for a while if they want. Ofcourse I take them to visit these people at other times of the year and other holidays etc. but I'm just saying that you have to do what works for your kids, make that clear, and stick to it.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If you could get everyone to agree to meet at 1 house for a short while, you could visit just 1 place and have the kids knock on doors in the house (bedroom, bathroom, etc), and have your family members answer the door and give out treats. At this age, they wouldn't really care about the actual act of going door-to-door in the neighborhood.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 8:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2009