3 year old with loose stools since birth

My 3 year old has had runny/loose stools since birth. I've tried her on all kinds of diets, lactose-free, soy, no sugary juices, nothing helps. The only thing that made somewhat of a difference was the soy but it only worked for about 2 weeks and she was back to loose stools. I asked her doctor a while ago about it and he said as long as she's eating & growing not to worry, but that was like a year and a half ago. I'm going to ask again and have her referred to a specialist, because sometimes her stomach hurts when she needs to go and it's always had a horrid smell (not that poo smells good but hers smells really bad). Just wondering if your child has had this and what it possibly could be??

Asked by tnm786 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is kind of this way but with out the stomach ache. I guess I don't worry about it because he does eat a ton of fruit and veggies and drinks a lot of water and that can have that effect on the stool. Is she on a high fiber diet? If your doctor wasn't too concerned I guess I wouldn't worry. Get a second opinion and see what they say. Good luck!!

Answer by khedy at 1:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My friend's son has this, and for him, it's all dairy. He can't have anything with milk products, even what's called hidden dairy. I dont' know much about it, but he has a restrictive diet.

Answer by apexmommy at 5:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009