3 year old with loose stools since birth

My 3 year old has had runny/loose stools since birth. I've tried her on all kinds of diets, lactose-free, soy, no sugary juices, nothing helps. The only thing that made somewhat of a difference was the soy but it only worked for about 2 weeks and she was back to loose stools. I asked her doctor a while ago about it and he said as long as she's eating & growing not to worry, but that was like a year and a half ago. I'm going to ask again and have her referred to a specialist, because sometimes her stomach hurts when she needs to go and it's always had a horrid smell (not that poo smells good but hers smells really bad). Just wondering if your child has had this and what it possibly could be??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is kind of this way but with out the stomach ache. I guess I don't worry about it because he does eat a ton of fruit and veggies and drinks a lot of water and that can have that effect on the stool. Is she on a high fiber diet? If your doctor wasn't too concerned I guess I wouldn't worry. Get a second opinion and see what they say. Good luck!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My friend's son has this, and for him, it's all dairy. He can't have anything with milk products, even what's called hidden dairy. I dont' know much about it, but he has a restrictive diet.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009