home child care

If you babysit a child and he starts to throw up after 30 mins of being at your house what would you call and say to his mom i need to know how to word it right b/c one time b/f he was running a 104.3 fever and i text her and she goes all i feel bad for him just give him tylanol and didn't come get him....She also brought him for a week with pink eye she told me she couldnt take off work and she is a teacher it was like the last week of school or something.....so how should i word it when i call?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a child of your own and are there other chiildren? If so I would tell her that her what is going on, then tell her that you don't want to get the other child(ren) sick. If you get sick also its going to put you out of comission for her. so I would just tell her that he needs to go home.
    Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I guess you need to flat out say your child is sick and you need to come pick him up. I had to do that before. The Mom tried to fool me by giving him tylenol and a few hours later his fever spiked up again. I made her come get him because I didn't want my kids to be sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yeah, I watch a little girl around my daughters age.She was really sick, I thought she had conjunctivitis called her mom, she brought her to the doctor and the baby ended up with two ear infections and a sinus turning into a upper respiratory infection.

Just tell her you don't want your children to get sick. Especially him tossing his cookies, that's a lot for you to be cleaning after her child.

Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• pink eye isn't infectious like they thought once, it's an infection from fecal matter making it into the eyes. i've had several peds dr's say this and that many other dr's say the opposite. where i live they don't kick them out of day care for it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i agree. just call her and say hes not feeling well and that your sorry but she needs to have child pick up by eaither her or a good friend/ relitive. i mean if u can give some tynol and a cool face cloth on head see if u can help but if it dosent work mom needs to tend to him how old is child? that fever is really high. and needs to be brought down so u dont have to rush child to er. ( your not able to anyways so childs mom would have to do it ) my son was 18 months had a fever spike and he had a sezior (sp) and was rush to hospital by ambulance..fever needs to be taken care of. so let her know hes sick fever throwing up and she needs to get him. he needs fluids and he needs to cool down. also that theres concern for any other children. best of luck..but till then please keep an eye on kiddie and get fever down and fluids in him as best u can.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• "pink eye isn't infectious like they thought once"

um, yes it is. In my state (and a couple neighboring states that i know of), liscenced daycares, and schools are not pernitted to have any child with pink eye in their care utnil 36 hours of antibotics and goop is gone.

also, a fever of either 101, or 100 with other symptoms, is cause to be sent home (within i hour of the phone call).

OP, this mom is "walking all over you", either take the crap she gives you (i wouldn't), or tell her "this is my rules, if you don't agree, you can find other care that suits your needs).
    If my child went to a daycare and there was another child who was constantly coming when ill, i would be pissed, and i would pull my kid out asap. Also, do you really want to be ill, have your children be ill? Is it worth it to you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You need to put your foot down. Most day cares have a contract that the parents have to sign that specifically states situation in which the child HAS to be picked up. Maybe you should do that. Then there will be no question what you will put up with. You can not risk getting sick or having any other children in your home get sick just so she doesnt have to deal with her own sick child.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 11:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2009