How do I get my three year old to stay in his bed?

We put my son in a "big boy" bed three months ago and he is just starting to get out of it! He has also learned to open his door! He tries every excuse under the sun to get out of his room. My husband and I are at a loss. He has ALWAYS been easy to lay down and goes right to sleep!!

mdl01805

Asked by mdl01805 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We had to put 2 gates up to keep our daughter in her room. One on top of the other, and we also had consequences for her if she got out of bed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• impliment consequences, increase the severity as needed, i think you should just tell them to stay in bed once and then dont give them any more interaction other than punishment after that, my son was a monster to put to bed at 3 and we battled him head on and now at 4 he is fine. fight the battle, win the war... (of who is in charge)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• A sticker chart is great for this age - set it up so if he stays in bed for say all night, then he gets a small prize (think dollar store), then the next time if he stays in bed for 2 nights, then for 3 nights, up to like a week and then keep it as long as needed. Also - gates are great for children that don't take to the sticker chart. (but at some point you have to break them of the need for gates too)

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son is 4 years old. He also had a problem with sleeping in his own bed when he went to a "big boy" bed. So we me and dad started doing was playing a game wih him at night in his bed til he was tired then cut on the tv and laid in the bed with him until he was comfortable enough to stay by himslef. Another thing that works is if ur child takes a nap during the day start him in his bed so he will become familiar with sleeping there and that would make night time sleeping a little easier.
    MissTrevon

Answer by MissTrevon at 11:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have the same problem and we have tried everything and my son stays up so late so if you figure it out please let me know and GOOD LUCK
    michellej135

Answer by michellej135 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Ahhh! I have the same problem. My son goes right to bed at 8:30 - no problems, in his own bed and he's fast asleep in minutes. However, he wakes up sometime in the night and crawls into bed with my husband and I. He's sneaky so I don't notice until the morning!!! Maybe I'll try the sticker one!! Good luck.
    kyco363

Answer by kyco363 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I made a fort around his bed. Its pretty cool, i enjoy getting in to the fort and reading to him.......he feels like it is HIS house. Make it fun!
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 6:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2009