I have grown to hate my doctors...

There are 3 midwives + a dr. in the practice I go to. I am 40w+3d. Last week midwife #1 said we would talk about inducing yesterday. I was thrilled. Then yesterday I saw a different midwife (it was my first time seeing her) and she said she doesn't want to induce and made me schedule appointments up until Nov. 6th and only AFTER that(2 weeks overdue) would we discuss inducing.

Seriously? I hear something different from every single midwife I see. I am going to freak out on them.

I am going to have this baby damnit!

Sorry I guess I just needed to rant.

Tashwitz

Asked by Tashwitz at 9:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 42 weeks is overdue and there are risks associated with post-term babies. the more overdue, the more risk-of c-section due to a larger baby, of low amniotic fluid ( which can cause all kinds of problems ), more risk of baby being discolored due to meconium passing, risk of baby being malnourished by placenta, all kinds of problems with placenta not correctly working, baby not thriving, going into stress, loss of oxygen, etc etc etc.
    OP, your best bet is to try to naturally induce labor at home. There are lots of ways to do so, the most effective being sex w/orgasm, closely followed by taking a long walk/drive, and nipple stimulation.
    Your dr's office midwives need to get on the same page. That's really crappy. Have you complained about this? I totally would if I were you.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Look into natural ways to bring on labor. I know that castor oil, walking, and sex are among them.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• The first one said she would talk about inducing. That doesn't necessarily mean that she would induce you before two weeks overdue, unless she specifically said that. From my understanding midwives are not hasty when it comes to inducing. They like to let nature take its course. Which is why I chose to go with midwives myself.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Actually, the first midwife said they would wait no more than a week to induce. She said they no longer wait 2 weeks due to increased risk of a c-section.

I am so tired of getting 2 different answers from the same dr. office!

And I would NOT have chosen midwifes, in fact, I didn't. I am a patient of the dr. but I have only seen him once. It's frustrating.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 9:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• People only hate their doctors when they don't get what THEY want. Up until then, they keep going to see health professionals each and every time they want or need to.
    Get over it, you knew when you made your first appointment it was likely you would see a different practioner at different times. Babies come whether or not they are on your schedule, their OB's schedule or the presumed confinement date. Your tired of being pregnant, every woman was at one point I imagine, you'll make it another day or two.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I totally understand that you are impatient and ready to see your baby. Thats totally normal. However (I know its frustrating to hear) some babies just need more time to cook. And nobody has ever been pregnant forever. The baby WILL be born when its ready. I'm not sure what the MW meant or maybe you misunderstood her, but induction actually carries the highest c/s risk rather than waiting. Also, I had my DD at 42w 2d and she came out quickly, easily and perfectly. She weighed 7lb 4.5oz
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• um Jewjew, No I did NOT know I would be seeing another dr. when I went to this practice. So don't make assumptions. I have figured things out along the way.

I get that the baby won't come on MY schedule, I am just tired of hearing conflicting things. My SO has been at every appointment and also knows what they have said and not said. I just think they all need to get on the same page and that shouldn't be too much to ask! I am also tired of hearing "oh you won't make it to your next appointment." I have been hearing that for 3 weeks now! I wish they'd stop getting my hopes up.

Yes, I am very impatient. Sue me.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 9:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• that would be really frustrating to get mixed messages. my opinion is in line with the midwife you did not want to induce, just because it is very risky.

"She said they no longer wait 2 weeks due to increased risk of a c-section."

inducing increases risk of c-section A LOT.

i like to ask about 100 questions when i first see my midwife, to find out if i will see the same person each time, what their views are on inductions, etc. that way there are no surprises at 40 weeks when it really is too late to switch. i know that it's too late now but maybe next time :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• oh and 42 weeks isn't really "overdue". you are due anytime between 38-42 weeks so overdue would be 42w1d :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• ""I am also tired of hearing "oh you won't make it to your next appointment." I have been hearing that for 3 weeks now! I wish they'd stop getting my hopes up.""

i agree. that is ridiculous. OBs and midwives do this all the time i think. they say oh yeah, you will go into labor any day now. and then 3 weeks later... it's just building people up and making them even more anxious than they already would be!!! i almost think some OBs do it just to get moms to be more willing to induce before baby is ready. but that's just my cynical opinion. ;) anyway how annoying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009