Are you a Mom who has let go of her "image" after having babies?

I see so many Moms out there who pretty much let go of their image just because they've become Moms. I'm not one of them. I make sure I get dressed daily, do my hair, makeup and stay in shape. Why do so many Moms just let go of their image? Do not say time is an issue becaue I have 3 kids and I make time to look decent and not look like a run down Mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You did not mention whether you are a single mom or your husband actually helps you with the kids or if you work!! All of these things have a huge impact on how much time you have in day to spend on your "image". Perhaps if you worked a full time job, had to take the kids to school or daycare, cleaned the house, gocery shopped and did everything else required to maintain some semblence of an organized life without any help you would look like a hot mess most of the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm married and a SAHM! But still, I've looked this good even when I worked full time with 2 kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I dress exactly how I did before I had kids...jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, pony tails, etc. I never wore make up, jewelry, fancy clothes or stuff like that before I had kids. Doesn't interest me. I've never carried a purse and hated lugging the stupid diaper bag around (kicked that as soon as we didn't need it) and I don't even own dress shoes any more. I have my sneakers and a couple pairs of flip flops and that's it.
    The last time I got "dressed up" was for my fil's funeral in 2003 and I had to go buy the dress because I didn't have one. It's the only "dressy" thing I still own and it was just a plain green dress. I no longer have shoes to go with it.
    I'm not out to impress anyone and never was. I've been married for almost 10 years, my husband loved me like this before we had kids and I just like to be comfortable.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 'image' was always pretty punk rock, so by conventional standards, I've probably improved it quite a bit since becoming a mom. ;)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• im like 25lbs over my pre pregnancy weight but hey it will go away and im not fat by any means, i do my hair and make up everyday, i work 2 days a week and keep the house clean and make dinner and my hubs is always all over me he can't keep his hands off me.
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 10:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• considering that my "image" has never been up to par, per the american beauty model standard, i guess i haven't declined any... i actually take good care of myself, eat well, exercise (lost almost 80 lbs, and am now a sz 6), and i don't dress any differently, except for the fact that i don't wear shorts anymore.

i never wore war paint, jewelry, or dressed up unless it was for a wedding or a funeral. just jeans, t-shirts, sweaters & slacks.... i get dressed in the morning, like anyone else... i even put on shoes!

i do understand what you're asking, and i take pride in being me. maybe if i had never had children, i might have explored some of these things, but since i didn't i do not feel i'm missing out. no, i haven't "let myself go". not do i ever intend to. i'm going to be a GILF! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had two babies back to back at the age of 39 and 40. They are 13 months apart and children numbers 4 and 5 for me. My now 4 yr old screamed bloody murder for 20 hrs a day the first 9 months of his life. I was lucky to bathe let alone put on eyeliner and heels. I am not the sort of woman to "let herself go" but come on! Primping and preening take a back seat to the realities of motherhood. My kids are 23, 18, 15, 4 and 3. Never a dull moment to say the least. I spent many yrs as a single mom to the first three, and I work full time. I manage to keep myself together but I will cut any woman slack. I don't walk in their shoes, have no idea what there lives are like...we all have frump days and I personally have better things to think about than if my toenails are painted. I would rather be remembered as the mom who got down in the dirt and played with her kids not the best dressed list mom.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I hadn't really thought about it much until now, but yes I have let myself go.
    As I sit here and look around, my house is spotless, my son is clean, just took a bath about an hour ago and is dressed. Breakfast has been made and all the dishes washed and cleaned. No laundry in the hamper. Everything in perfect order except me. I'm wearing stretchy shorts and one of my SO's XL tee shirts, my hair is up in a messy bun, no make-up, barefooted. Needless to say, I look like crap.

On that note I have a question for all those Mommas out there looking great. How do I get my 7 month old to nap or play in his play pen long enough for me to get fixed up. SO works from 8 till 5 so I have no help with him. He only naps about 10-15 at a time and will never play alone. What do you do?
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I probably am....it just isn't a priority in my life anymore.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I never really thought I had an image,lol... I really don't get into trends, fashion, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl. I like nice new tennis shoes, and when I'm out and about I always wear a little makeup and I like to smell nice. But as for an "image" I don't know about all of that...
    I will confess I do wear my pj's all day some days if I'm staying in. No one sees me so I don't see why it's a big deal... My house is clean, kids are well taken care of, have 3 dogs that I walk 2/3 times a day. And I ride my elliptical everyday. So I think it's a healthy balance of being comfy when I want, and taking care of myself all the time...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009