is $500 per kid to much for Christmas?

I have a 11, 7,6,3, 14 months. I want to give them a good Xmas. I know i am going to get my 11 year old a ipod touch and that's alot alone. I was thinking its alot but my kids really dont have anything. I have been unstable and moving around the country. I finally realized the importance of stability and we are staying put. They don't have basic things so i was thinking to get them fun things for make their rooms nice and some toys. I am unsure what to get my 6 year old. My 3 year old I am going to get Brats baby (she's over Dora) The oldest the touch and some games for his wii. My 7 year old wants a dresser to put her clothes in. talk about feeling like shit when your kid asks for a dresser. I think that the 500 can be spent easily but my hubby things it WAY to much. Do you think $500 per kid is to much for kids who don't really have anything?

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that's about average. When you figure in a big expense like iPod, TV, stereo, etc. plus all the little things around the tree, $500 is about right. It may be a shock when you put it on paper! lol
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 9:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• IMO yes, but if you can afford it go ahead. I've never known anyone to spend that much on 1 kid, so no I don't think it's the average.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Its not too much around my house but then again DH and I have been told that we spoil our children. I say that if you can afford it and DH will agree then go for it no matter what anyone says. It is your children, your money, and your christmas. Do what you feel is right for you and your family and don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. I have been known to spend more if it is something that I know my child has really been wanting.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I know it seems like alot but my kids ONLY get present on bday's and Xmas. I don't EVER just buy them things.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think 500 is a lot per kid---you have 4 thats 2k in just presents---but i suppose if you have the $ then go for it...but if DH isnt in agreement you may have to wait until after christmas for some of it.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I say it's a lot when you have 5 kids! That's $2500! I only have 3 and will be spending about $300 on each. My kids don't know the price of things. So I try to make their piles look equal and not as much about money.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I am going to play the lotto. I'll be ok :)
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Every Xmas, we take out a small personal loan with our bank to really splurge on everyone including each other, and then pay it off throughout the year. When you can take out small personal loans and pay them off quickly, it boost your credit scores tremendously, rather than saving throughout the year through a program at work or just dependently. It works with our budget and our bank ... I know that may not apply to everyone, but it is an option!

We don't do big birthdays, so like you, Christmas is the time that we go nuts! lol
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 9:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• That's more then I spend on my 4 kids (9, 8, 7 and 3) combined along with my friends' 3 kids and my oldest daughter's best friend (who we've known since birth). I wish we had that kind of money. We'll be spending between $75-$100 on each kid (and about $20 on each of the other kids we buy for so about $500 in total for 8 kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Would love to have money like that! I buy anything second-hand that I can find. Like a nice dresser, should be pretty easy to get at a good price at a Salvation Army or somewhere. No need to tell the children the things aren't new. If you want to tell them, take time to teach them the value of spending money wisely. I know a lot of very nice, classy people who buy almost all their clothes etc. second-hand. But if the money is easily available, spend as much as you like!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2009