texting etiquette?

Do you think it is okay to text someone in the middle of the night?

Last night, just before 1am, my phone started beeping. I got up to see who it was just in case there was an emergency and it was my sil texting me for my e-mail address. So I texted her back that it was freaking 1am and I was sleeping. She got all pissy and said I didn't have to answer it and I'm like, well, the phone beeping woke me up. She sent me 1 more text which I didn't read until this morning saying she won't ever text me again. Whatever.
She's a pain in the @ss. usually her texts are stupid chain letters and x-rated videos that I don't want to see and my kids don't need to see. It's annoying and she always sends them in the middle of the night.
Seems rude to me but she got all huffy with me like it was my problem.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would think it's rude to text any time a phone call would also be rude. Your SIL took things with a little too much drama. Never is a long time, how about just not when people are sleeping. Sheesh.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Can't you silent your phone at night? I get where you're coming from but I get where she's coming from too.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 10:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Ok, ask yourself this question...if she was someone you actually liked would you be bent out of shape? I understand your being asleep, I just wonder if you were mad at the actual text or mad that it came from her? I think it is rude to text in the middle of the night...if it were an emergency they would call not text anyway. I HATE HATE LOATHE and DESPISE chain mail and porn texts! I don't need porn or Jesus loves you text at 1 a.m.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have a home phone for emergencies and my cell phone is being charged in a room downstairs and the sounds to it are shut off.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would be upset if anyone texted or called me in the middle of the night if it wasn't an emergency. And I like my sil just fine, she's just a pain and doesn't think of anyone but herself most of the time. My husband doesn't speak to her, though, because he's to the point he can't stand her drama. It's his sister. He doesn't really speak to anyone in his family so I'm left having to deal with them.
    We have a home phone but my in-laws only contact us on the cells so I leave mine on all the time just in case. My mil is ill so I always freak when the phone goes off in the middle of the night scared we're getting the message that she's in the hospital again or worse.
    In the end, my sil is just a freaking drama queen. I don't care if she texts me whatever she wants but I refuse to respond to the chain junk she sends and it just ticks me off that she has no concern for anyone but herself.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I keep my cell on all night because it is the only one I have, so in case of an emergency, that is the only one people can reach me on. I would be a little ticked if someone one texted me in the middle of the night to ask for my email address! As for all the junk people send me, i delete it. Kind of hard to believe my crush will call me at 10 pm but only if i forward to a million first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't get so bent out of shape, especially if this is the first time she's sent you a text that late. I silence my message alerts at night. I get Facebook texts 24/7 and I get texts (nothing nasty) from friends. I don't send texts at night but I don't mind getting them. I turn my sound back on when I wake up.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I would not think it was ok to text after a time that I wouldn't call. However, I have learned that a lot of other people surprisingly think it's ok because they assume your ph will be silenced and you can just get the msg when you check your ph.... these are respectable people who would not call me at midnight, but are up and want to ask me something and think it's ok to text it so I can answer in the a.m.. That's my 2 cents but seriously, this does not apply to your sil anyway because it's obvious she is not a rational person! Oh well, just tell her to save the drama for her mama because you are NOT her mama!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009