RSV?

My daughter was born 9 weeks early (preemie) therefore the Dr says she is at high risk for RSV. She is to recieve monthly injections to prevent this.........

Has anyone had there child vaccinated for this?
What were the side affects?
Is this necessary?
(I am a stay at home mom, she is not in day or child care of any kind)

My daughter is 5 months old.

Thank you for your help!

momtopreemie521

Asked by momtopreemie521 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 6 weeks premature, he was not vaccinated. It was not offered to me and I didn't know it was an option. The doctor never ever advised me of the risk for RSV. Needless to say, when my son was almost a year old, he contracted RSV and was in the hospital for nearly a month with it and still suffers from breathing problems due to RSV. It was a terrible experience. I can not advise you on whether or not to get the vaccine all I can tell you is that if I had it to do over again with the knowledge that I have now. I would have him vaccinated. Good Luck Momma. Ya got to do what is right for you and your LO.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My youngest was born 4 weeks early. He had RSV when he was 5 weeks, 1 adjusted. There was no vaccination. He was in the PICU for a week, but squeaked by not needing the ventilator.

Most kids, preemie or full term, catch RSV. It's a nasty strain of the cold virus. Most don't even know they've had it, but if they had a particularly nasty cold at any time, more than likely they had it. (My youngest was tested and found positive...he also had bronchiolitis with hit. It was assumed the other two had it as well since they had bad colds, but they were not tested)

While it's common, it is nastier for some kids....preemies, those with respiratory problems and I think I remember hearing those with heart problems, but I cant' swear to that one.

I can't tell you to do it or not. I won't tell you to do it or not. The virus isn't just at daycare...there is the store, shopping carts, door handles, money, etc.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Oh, and for the record, my youngest does now have a diagnosis of asthma. (he's 3 years now) The doctor said that while there is a genetic component (I have it) that him having RSV did increase the risk it would develop.

All three of the boys have asthma diagnoses now....none severe.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My twins were born two months premature, and never received these vaccinations, so I don't know the side effects, but they never got RSV either.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My oldest was born 4 weeks early, and not one single doctor told me about RSV. She got it when she was exactly 4 weeks old. I was never even informed about the vaccine. We were hospitalized for almost 2 weeks in the NICU. She was very sick. I am also a stay at home mom as well, but it still didn't stop my daughter from getting it. We all get sick regardless of if we stay at home. I wish she would've been vaccinated against it. Good luck, I really hope your LO doesn't get it.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Thank you everyone for all the stories and advice. I have been doing some reading and I havent descided yet. They also want to give her the flu ans swine too. Im just thinking its just all too much. I need to descide! Thank you again. xoxo
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009