Is 7 months old to soon to take his bottle?

My son is 7 months old, he does amazingly well with sippy and soft straw cups. Do you think it would be too soon to take the bottles all together?
Last night was the first time I ever tried but he will also take the sippy in the middle of the night. Would you put him on only cups, or let him keep the bottles longer?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine were done with all bottles at 6 months. If they can use a sippy, there is NO reason for a bottle any longer!

And just because someone gets rid of the bottles, does not mean they're getting rid of the formula or breast milk...(for those who automatically equate the two)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree. If your baby is doing good with the cup you can take away the bottle. No need for it.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No its not if he is advanced like your... For other it will be to early! My son ois seven months and still is learning to use a sippy cup when he learns to swallow then I will take him off completely! ( Hopefully its real soon)
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 9:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If he can drink out of something else good, other then a bottle. Get rid of the bottle I say.

Answer by louise2 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• As long as he's getting the correct amount of formula every day, then I guess it doesn't matter. My son went through a stage around that age that he didn't want the bottle. My mother kept forcing the pacifier on him because she thought he needed to suck or he would end up being a smoker LOL!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• we took the bottle away at 7 months too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My daughter was done around 6 and a half months.
    MissG9

Answer by MissG9 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• NO if he is ready go ahed
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009