Southern Baptists

What are your overall feelings/opinions about Southern Baptists? We have a lot of them down here in Mississippi and they are usually the ones who are quite vocal about their opinions, good or bad. At times it gets really annoying because its like if you don't agree with them you get cut off, but thats what we get for living somewhere they are dominant. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My Papaw is a southern baptist minister. I feel that they are more strict and judgmental than MANY other religions. And it is true what you say, they do cut you off if they don't like what you have to say. They have very strong opinions and a lot of the time there is no talking to them. I would go crazy if I was surrounded by southern baptists all the time. I love my Papaw to death but he can get very preachy and annoying lol
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 9:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I live in Kentucky and we also have a lot of Southern Baptist people. They are definitely "dominant" here in South Eastern Ky. I try to over look them. Most of the ones I know personally, are hypocrites anyway, they will go to church and then come home and get drunk and preach some more. I know they aren't all that way, but the ones I know are. Pretty funny really.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm not a big fan of the Baptist church period!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I wasn't brought up in the church, but I lived with a Southern Baptist family in college. They were the kindest people I've ever met. They allowed me to rent the apt. above their garage for only $100 a month utilities included so that I could afford to pay for my college. They invited me to their church and that was the 1st time I was introduced to God. Although I later chose a nondenominational church and I don't consider myself a Southern Baptist, I have to say that they were truly the most respectable people. I'm grateful that they were so kind to me and introduced me to the church. It breaks my heart to hear folks make negative generalizations about people's beliefs and/or lifestyles. There are fanatics in every group whether its regarding religion, politics, etc., Doesn't mean that their beliefs or hypocrit actions are the direct beliefs of the entire organization. IDK.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• A close friend of mine is a southern baptist, and our relationship has taught me not to be so judgmental towards them.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 10:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• In my experiences they are the pushiest, most intolerant and most narrow-minded of all the Christian denominations.  The problem is that they are extremely conservative which means there is much that they can take offense to in our modern liberal society. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i have no problem with SBs. i find people to be just as ridiculously annoying and judgemental in any church/group/organization, as some of you find it in SBs. my intuition tells me once again, a whole particular group is judged because of your personal knowledge/intimacy with a few of their human members. if we're talking personal experience, i've known quite a number of members of other denoms that not only acted/lived one way and worshipped another, but were actually proud of themselves for doing so. talk about hypocrites!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I've known many and was roommates with one for 2 years. Some are hypocrites and others live by what they believe. Most I've known strongly believe in the bible and living a conservative life. I've seen a good friend go through a huge amount of pain for coming out of the closet and being disowned by his father and church.

I don't agree with many of their beliefs, but I try not to judge the followers as a whole. I avoid discussing religion with them knowing we won't agree, so I get along with the ones I know.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i've actually never met one. but the one that is on cafe mom, is giving them a really bad name
    Anonymous

• I live in Montana, have never lived in the south, and am Southern Baptist. I don't see the pushy-ness up here like is described in the southern states. I do see the strong faith and refusal to waiver from scripture-based belief, but that is a good thing, imo. I believe that whatever you hear about God and faith you should compare to what scripture says about it to see if it's the truth or not. If it is, and you still don't like what you're hearing, then that is conviction of sin and you need to really examine your life and why you're feeling the way you are. Anyway, I do have lots of southern relatives in the lower 48 and I love 'em but my own family is a loud, opinionated lot whether you're talking religion, football, the economy, whatever! lol (And this is not always a bad thing at all either!) They deliver what they have to say with lots of love though, so this is just how they are. (continued)
    -KaylaLee-

Answer by -KaylaLee- at 1:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009