How can I continue to fuction on so little sleep?

I have a 6 month old and a 4 year old. I work full time. I get up by 6am at the latest. My oldest son goes to bed at 8 & the baby between 8 & 10. Once I get both boys to sleep, I pick up around the house, clean the kitchen, fold laundry before going to bed. By the time that's done, it's after 11 so I sometimes stay up to see my husband for even a few minutes, since he works 2nd shift. I'm usually ok with 6 hours of sleep, even better with 7. The problem is, most nights, my sleep is interrupted by at least one, if not both children. I have a hard time getting back to sleep once I've woken up. I think I'm averaging 4-5 non consecutive hours of sleep a night. I don't drink coffee & I'm diabetic, so energy drinks that contain sugar are out. I drink diet caffinated sodas just to keep going through the day, but it's not optimal. What can I do to cope with this lack of sleep and still do everything I need to each day?

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• Forget the cleaning...get some sleep!!!!!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• talk to you doctor. i know a lot of people take b-complex vitamins and they say it does wonder for their energy levels. otherwise, maybe you can cut back on your hours at work? or if you have sick time you can take a scheduled day off every so often just to catch up on some sleep. and keep your nutrition on track by eating healthy with lots of fruits and veggies- if you aren't eating right that will really diminish what little energy you do have. other than that, the best advise i have is to know that it isn't permanent. once your sons stop waking through the night you can have your full sleep back. if need be, let the laundry go one night and just do double the next...little things mean a lot.
    RNmama09

Answer by RNmama09 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Let your husband tidy up and get some extra sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009