Will a doctors office call in a new pain med prescription?

Was seen in the ER and given a prescription for pain medication. I filled it the next day (yesterday), but it makes me sick to take it. I tried taking 1/2, but it still makes me throw up. I can't go to the doctor, because I have no sitter and a baby still getting over H1N1. If I call my Dr office, are they able to call in a different pain medication for me? I'm in NC if that matters...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• probaly not...but you can call the ER and ask for that dr. to call in something else...They should be able to help...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• mine always made me come in and pick it up at the front desk. i am in nc too!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• They could call in a medication to take so it doesn't make you sick. Or you can just take Tylenol. I can take any of the GOOD pain meds and even after major surgeries and broken bones I just take Tylenol.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Have you tried eating before you take the pain med? Most pain meds make people throw up or at least feel like they want to and it is even worse on an empty stomach. Most places will not call in a narcotic containing pain med, and if your primary doc didnt prescribe it they are usually less inclined to call something else in, but it may be worth a phone call to your doc. The ER probably will not call anything else in and some places require you to pick up the prescription, especially if it is a controlled substance med.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• some pain meds are in a class of drugs that cannot be called in. some pain meds are milder and can be called in. it depends on your health history, the reason for your pain, and your doctor after that.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009