Why do you think I (Christians) worship God out of fear?

I see it time and time again. Posts and comments alluding to the misbelief that Christians are Christians out of fear of God and fear of Hell. I did not CHOOSE to become a Christian because I was scared of God and what the consequences of my actions might be. In fact, I didn't even believe in Hell before I became a Christian, I believed in hell on earth, as in the sufferings we endure in this life. Why would God want someone to worship Him because they are afraid? Why would He give us the free will of choice? If that were the case something catastrophic would occur every time someone denounced Him to the point that you would HAVE to believe. Don't misinterpret having a healthy respect for God as fear. Love and respect are what make a relationship work, any relationship, including that with God. Love and respect are what keeps a spouse from cheating or your children obedient, not fear.

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 11:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Windy, once again we agree (though you know that I am not a Christian).
    I feel that there are many who feel as you do. However I feel that those that preach to others like myself, of nothing but the lake of fire, brimstone, Satan etc, need to do so because maybe they do not fear their God, but they fear what the lack of God could send them to.
    But by the same token, it is still fear based, if i am not a good child, Father will cast me out or to hell.
    They themselves do not have that productive healthy relationship with their God.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 11:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I love him because he first loved me.

He is Daddy.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree that is a misconception, I think there are "some" that try to convert others the wrong way and use the scare tactics of Hell. That gives the idea that Christian believe out of fear. I think it would be better if when trying to convert (for lack of a better word) the emphasis was put on peace, love and well being rather than do this or you will go to Hell.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• As far as I know this only comes about when some Christians use Pascal's wager as a reason why Non-christians should believe in the Christian God. I don't think I need to explain how Pascal's wager is a weak debating tool as it gives the impression that the only reason to believe is out of fear of being "wrong".
    Quite Honestly, I know that Christians have any number of differing reasons for believing just as I have many different reasons for not believing. However, if you use Pascal's wager in a discussion with me I will point out the absurdity in it because of the aforementioned implications.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes I see where we are standing here, respect, respect, and more respect, and consideration, and listening, and patience, and actually learning to keep a safe distance, when the people we FEARED ourselves into step over those (our) boundaries, GOD KNOWS!!!!! HE sees this !
    He isn't blind, I tell my D/H all the time GOD sees what he does, and says. He isn't going about and around God, he will never get love by being harsh, people who are sick seek help. My D/H is trying to blame the whole med. community for his sickness, I am only seeing more and more disrespect for his constant cyclone of anger and tantrums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We will not be cast out... spending an eternity with God or without is the difference. Being with out leaves you empty, not complete. We are not suppose to round them up and convert them, we are suppose to be a living walking representation of Christ. We are not all perfect but someone should be able to SEE that you are a Christian, without you having to tell them. They are suppose to be able to see Christ living in you. :)
    browneyes87amy

Answer by browneyes87amy at 11:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Obviously many Christians come to their religion from a thoughtful decision & fear plays the smallest role in persuading them. However, many Christians site Hell, punishment & judgement to nonbelievers as a major reason they should be following the same path as them. This leads people to assume that it is the biggest reason the person saying this chooses to follow that religion. Also, some Christians really are motivated by fear.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I don't.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 11:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• "As far as I know this only comes about when some Christians use Pascal's wager as a reason why Non-christians should believe in the Christian God. I don't think I need to explain how Pascal's wager is a weak debating tool as it gives the impression that the only reason to believe is out of fear of being "wrong".
    Quite Honestly, I know that Christians have any number of differing reasons for believing just as I have many different reasons for not believing. However, if you use Pascal's wager in a discussion with me I will point out the absurdity in it because of the aforementioned implications."

This =)

"Being with out leaves you empty, not complete."

WHAT? Seriously...WHAT THE HELL? I find this personally offensive. How DARE you tell me that I'm "empty" and "not complete" because I do not worship YOUR deity. How callous, rude, judgmental, and not to mention WRONG.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I see what you are saying, Kristi, but to some of us, when we think of Pascal's wager we think of it in terms of common sense, not fear, lol. I've used that theory in discussion with friends but never in an attempt to "convert" someone. I understand the logic behind it but I don't believe anyone ever truly became a believer through it. You have to BELIEVE. You can go through the motions all day long as the theory suggests but hedging your bets won't actually bring you closer to Christ. You make a good point. Thank you for your input.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009