H1N1 Mist vs. Shot-NOT a debate just need some general help

I know most of the facts regarding the two but I'm just wondering from other parents whether or not they would do the mist or prefer the shot-why or why not? My child is 3 and is supposed to go tommorrow for the mist. She is healthy, no asthma, etc. I'm getting my child vaccinated either way so please don't try to convince me not to. I'm talking to my ped today also for any other advice. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• IF i were going to get it for my kids (which i'm not) i'd go with the mist b/c it don't hurt
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I thought that little kids couldn't get the mist?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My kids had the regular flu shot, and I don't think I want to take them for the new one, it makes no sense to me, and is so confusing.

The ones that could have the mist did, and the ones that couldn't had the shot.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son is 3 and there is NO way he's getting the mist. It is rec. for kids under 2-so, why should 3 be any better. But-my kids aren't getting the vax either. Its a live virus. Just be sure you read about it.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It is NOT recommended for kids under 2-edit!!!!
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My pediatrician's office will not even give the mist as an option for a child under 4 years old.

Regardless of age, I would only want the shot vaccine for my whole family. The mist is a live virus. I just don't like the idea of giving the live virus in the vaccine. That's why the polo oral vaccine had so many more complications than the shot version...it too was the live virus.

I would ask for the shot vaccine. Sure it hurts where the mist doesn't, but it's been around much longer and is known to be safe where as the mist vaccine has a lot more controversy surrounding it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would go w/ the mist. contains no mercury.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yea anon I reported you for being a moron and attacking the poster. Saying she doesn't love her kids... get a life.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 11:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Mine have to get the shot because they have asthma. As for the anon who insists on bringing up mercury....ask for the preservative FREE shot! Gee...what a concept.

The mist does have a small amount of the live virus, which does increase the likelihood they may get a light case of the flu. That doesn't mean they WILL get it though.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE::: The mist is a very weakened live virus. It will not hurt children. More children are dying because of the swine flu so that is why I'm choosing to get my child vaccinated. Because I love my child TOO much and want to see her safe and secure. I've talked to TOP notch Infectious Disease doctors at the best Children's Hospital in the nation and they recommend it for their own kids as well. Thanks ladies for the help.
    Anonymous