Help, new puppy.

We have a 2 year old and just got a puppy. My 2 year old is still very needy and needs lots of attention so does our puppy. Sometimes I get nothing done around the house and I am wondering how others combine everything? Do you just put your puppy in it's crate for the time you're doing housework or cooking? I always feel bad about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Hi1 I don't have a baby but I do have a 9 month old puppy and we went though the same feelings about the crate but it is all worth it if you crate train correctly. I would do a search for local dog trainers who can help coach you through how to properly crate train your puppy and also how to train your puppy in general. I fully agree with positive reinforcement training. I was actually able to find someone who would come to our house to train him in the environment he lives in.
    abarthel915

Answer by abarthel915 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It is hard at first. Don't treat puppy as a child, train it during child's naps. A crate is that puppy's own space. You set it up to have an accident area..if not potty broke and a sleeping area...please don't forget a toy and a chew bone, a bored puppy is a destructive puppy. It won't like it, but if you put the crate where they can see and hear you, they will calm down. them having a space is a good thing as long as their needs are met.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have three puppies (itty bitty guys)... they're almost 5 weeks old now... and when they're not napping, they follow me around whatever I'm doing. Granted, they try to kill my broom... but it's okay cause it's cute ;)
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Do not use the crate as a punishment the puppy needs a place away from us to be their own and if it used as a punishment they will fear it and not go in it at all it takes time looking into some trainign classes that go once a week like Petsmart
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009