I am curios as to where the Catholic Church came up with the idea of mortal and venial sins

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's also common sense - a teenager disobeying their parents and eating a cookie they were told not to eat is not the same as someone who commits murder
    __

I have to agree with this statement. God is logical and this is a logical statement
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Mainly from 1 John 5:16-17: "If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly. "

Mortal sins are "deadly sins" - sins that lead to spiritual death. As the quote indictes there is sin that is not deadly - these are venial sins.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It's also common sense - a teenager disobeying their parents and eating a cookie they were told not to eat is not the same as someone who commits murder. A person may not be aware that doing something is sinful because they were raised/taught differently. Or if someone is forced to do something (rob the bank or I'll kill your child), it reduces their responsiblity. So for a sin to be mortal there are 3 conditions:

1. It has to be grave/serious matter.
    2. A person has to know it's wrong.
    3. A person has to freely choose to the sin anyway.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• And we'll see these referenced in the bible too. John 19:11 talk about a greater sin (implyling that there is a lesser sin). Luke 12:47-48, Acts 17:30 and 1 Timothy 1:13 talk about how responsiblity is reduced because of the lack of knowledge the sinner had. And Hebrews 10:26 talks about delibertly sinning.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• ya know ive always wondered this too. thanks erin!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• The wages of sin is death. All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Sin is sin there is no difference. the Catholic Church is wrong.
    Anonymous

• The church leaders decided that they needed something to keep their far-flung parishioners--and their money--in the church. The sins they came up with kept money in their pockets (as the people would pay them for their intercession with god) and controlled the masses with fear of eternal damnation. Just good business for a tyranny. You can't build all those cathedrals, or pay for gold communion cups and gilt-edged robes for the priest without a big income. And fear is the best currency to trade in. Dictators and religions have dealt in fear for thousands of years...because it WORKS!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• anon:08 i wonder if you would give your interpretation of a "deadly sin" as in the bible quote eringobrough gave in her first post.

your answer won't make me convert from Catholicism, but I like to be armed with the truth so many of use against us.
    Anonymous

• I would bite and give back an equally bashing remark witchqueen, but the Christian thing to do would be to turn the other cheek and pray for my sister. That's what I will do.

God bless you and may he look over you and heal you of any pain you might have. We love you witchqueen and wish no sadness upon you.
    Anonymous

• the Catholic Church is wrong.

Then, according to you, the bible must be wrong:

1 John 5:16-17: "If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly. "

The bible clearly states that there is deadly sin and there is sin that is not deadly. Deadly Sin = Mortal Sin, Sin that is not Deadly = Venial Sin.

And didn't we already do this a couple of weeks ago?

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009